Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Focusing issue with DAL35?

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a new DA 35mm F2.4AL. However, I find that the focusing on it seems a little bit off. When I am far away, not at infinity. I find that the picture I have taken is not particularly sharp. However, when I move a little bit closer and the camera refocuses. The picture I take is very sharp. I am using Center-spot focusing. with the subject filling in the bubble in the viewfinder. I am assume that it is because the subject is just filling the bubble exactly that is causing the problem but I can not be sure. Any help would be useful.

Thank you

01-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Normally, the focus should be less problematic from a distance, since the DOF is larger.
What aperture are you using?
What kind of softness do you observe? Is it around corners? If you take a photo of a landscape which includes, say, some distant houses whose colors attract your eye, in case you focus on them, especially at lower apertures, the borders will be out of focus. In such circumstances you need to focus closer to include the whole landscape in the DOF.
01-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sample pictures will help A soft one and a sharp one from the same scene as you describe.
01-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay on the samples. But here they are. The pictures are from the same object. Center focus on the dial on the watch. Please any explanation would help. Sorry upload to web hosting isn't working. I will post them later on today. when everything is working.

Last edited by epqwerty; 01-29-2011 at 11:59 AM.
01-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Sorry for the delay on the samples. But here they are. The pictures are from the same object. Center focus on the dial on the watch. Please any explanation would help. Sorry upload to web hosting isn't working. I will post them later on today. when everything is working.

I can see no pics...
01-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Sorry upload to web hosting isn't working. I will post them later on today. when everything is working.
Might be best to post them direct here anyway.
Just use Attachments (the paper clip).

.R.
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #7

i ve had no problem

01-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that worked. Here are the samples.

Update okay it worked.

Now for the first picture.
I was set on center focus and the focus point was on the face of the watch where the hands are.

The second picture was also on the same location but I was physically closer to the watch and therefore the focus had to readjust itself.

The first picture seems to be focused on another point as the book on the right seems pretty sharp.

Anyone with an explanation for me. Any help would be perfect.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
01-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

at this size it's difficult to see anything but here's my guess: the first shot was taken at 1/20s, it is pretty slow for a hand held photo and the further the subject is, the harder it is to keep it stable. so why I'm saying is despite I can see no evidence on the actual photos, your problem might be blur caused by your hand shaking rather than lack of sharpness
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #10

Can you try manually focusing on the watch when it's further away (use liveview and zoom in to ensure perfect focus) and compare manual focus to AF.
01-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have tried to focus it with manual focus and I could focus no problem with it. I have a Km and live view isn't an option for me also no zoom in focusing either. When I focus manually I can get it sharp no problem. Other lenses do not have that problem either. Is it possible that because the watch dial is so small that it can't properly lock on focus?