Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*ist D does double-shots

Sorry if this has already been covered, but it didn't turn up in a search. My *ist D is becoming increasingly prone to firing off 2 shots when I depress the shutter release. This is in M mode, using K-mount manual primes, which is what I use most of the time. At first it was occasionally, maybe 1 of 100 shots, but now its 30-40% of the time. The camera has been pampered & has about 14k actuations. Can the shutter button be gunked up somehow or maybe an electrical problem? Thanks for any suggestions!

Paul

01-28-2011, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes people treat their stuff too gently. I often wonder if my equipment seems to take a lickin and keeps on tickin is because I'm not overly gentle with it.

One time my future father in law was having trouble with his ride em lawn mower. He knew that his daughter's boyfriend rode an English motorcycle, so, being from Norfolk himself, he just presumed that I could turn a wrench. He kinda sorta hinted that perhaps I could come out and have a look at it. If nothing else, I could help him push it ito the river.

He was right, I was a pretty good mechanic.
Riding Harleys, BSAs and Triumphs had a way of turning a person into a wrench monkey.
But I digress
So, one day we went out to his acreage and I had a look at his tractor.
As I checked everything over, he was whispering to my future wife "Yes, I checked that".
When I was done, I pulled the starter rope once and the engine fired up.
He was dumbfounded, but he did mention that I was nowhere near as gentle as he was.
Gas engines and I got along well.
But I digress.
Yeah, you could have a gunked up shutter button.
Or, the button might just be worn out.
Try this:
Turn the camera off, there's no reason to do this with a live camera.
Depress the shutter button FIRMLY 50 or so times and then see if there is an improvement.
I'm not going to say anything either positive or negative about either disassembly or spraying contact cleaner into the shutter button because I don't know if either is a good idea or not.
Hopefully someone else will chime in with more information.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-14-2011 at 09:33 PM.
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My school of wrench-turning was a '68 VW Beetle, and various Japanese 2-stroke street bikes. That Bug and my Yamaha RD's and the Kawi Triples kept me busy with all manner of improvised fixits. But back to the subject - sometimes the simple solutions are the best. I gave my shutter button a workout as you suggested, Wheatfield. I followed up with a day of shooting probably 200 shots - I got maybe 3 or 4 double-shots during that run. I can live with that. We'll see how long the 'repair' holds up - I may have to make it part of a weekly preventive maintenance program

Thanks for your reply Wheatfield - looks like it did the trick for now!

Paul
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Take it off continuous mode?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Take it off continuous mode?
Thanks Adam, that was the first thing I checked - it's in single frame mode. I just kind of massaged the shutter button as Wheatfield suggested - seems to be working ok now. Maybe the camera is just telling me it needs to be used more often

Paul
04-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sorry if this has already been covered, but it didn't turn up in a search. My *ist D is becoming increasingly prone to firing off 2 shots when I depress the shutter release. This is in M mode, using K-mount manual primes, which is what I use most of the time. At first it was occasionally, maybe 1 of 100 shots, but now its 30-40% of the time. The camera has been pampered & has about 14k actuations. Can the shutter button be gunked up somehow or maybe an electrical problem? Thanks for any suggestions!

Paul

Can you verify if it's actually taking *two* images when it fired off 2 shots? Im asking because my K100D does fire off 2 shots but when I clicked view images there is only 1 shot recorded. It's like the mirror slapped twice but only recorded one image. Mine happens approx. 10% of the time and has tendency to increase the % when the weather is more humid.
04-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Can you verify if it's actually taking *two* images when it fired off 2 shots? Im asking because my K100D does fire off 2 shots but when I clicked view images there is only 1 shot recorded. It's like the mirror slapped twice but only recorded one image. Mine happens approx. 10% of the time and has tendency to increase the % when the weather is more humid.
Yes, I get two photos every time it happens. It seems simplistic, but Wheatfield's suggestion seems to work. I've gotten in the habit of fiddling with the shutter button for a few moments before taking a shot (with the camera off, of course). I hadn't noticed a increase/decrease in double-shots on humid or dry days - it seems random.

04-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

its not bracketing by any chance is it?

does exposure change , either shutter or aperture between shots?
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
its not bracketing by any chance is it?

does exposure change , either shutter or aperture between shots?
No, I get 2 identical shots - except for slight camera position change. Same exposure & other settings. I have never used continuous-shooting on the istD, but that was the first thing I checked. I bought the camera from another forum member in Sept last year, and the problem surfaced in Nov. or Dec. It was becoming a real annoyance, as I reported in the original post here. (btw, it was happening with all lenses, not just MF ones.) It's tolerable now, using the 'shutter-button massage' technique - probably around 5% or less of my shots are doubled.

Last edited by paulh; 04-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose it could be a bad shutter release switch. Does it do it on long exposure shots or just short exposure?
04-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I suppose it could be a bad shutter release switch. Does it do it on long exposure shots or just short exposure?
Now that I think about it, it's always been shorter exposures - always a 'click-click' thing happening. I'll have to pay more attention to that.
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I could be the shutter release switch is 'seeing' two button pushes. On longer exposures the second push is ignored because the shutter is still open and not ready to fire.