Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Why all my pictures come out grainy?

Hello,

I recently purchase a Pentax k-x on ebay.
But most of my pictures are very grainy. What am i doing wrong? Is there any setting that need changing?

check this pic or this one that is very obvious.

This problem makes me doubt that i picked the right camera... Help !!!

Thanks

01-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Learn to use the basics of the camera, problem solved. That outdoor shot is at ISO 6400, the indoor shot is 1600. Yes it is going to be grainy the higher the ISO you shoot in at the upper ends.
01-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

f11, 1/5000, ISO6400. ISO6400 is the reason for the grain.

Seriously, they are the most bizaar settings I've seen. What mode are you shooting in?
01-30-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to your ISO settings, select Auto ISO, and have the range to go between 200 and 1600 or 3200.
Then flip to green mode and shoot away. You will find this will help avoid the situations where the grain will affect your images drastically, but it will be at the expense of having less low-light action-stopping capabilities.

Once you have understood exposure settings and their interrelations then you can venture more into the other semi-auto or manual modes that give you total control of your exposures whilst understanding the implications of using the settings you punch into the camera.

01-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies!

I'm a complete beginner and thought I was in full auto mode but obviously I wasn't. I changed the settings as you explained Ash and gonna try it!

Do you have any good website on how to learn about exposure? any other tip for a beginner like me?

Last edited by Secret Elkina; 01-30-2011 at 09:03 AM.
01-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Digital Photography School is free and a good place to start learning the basics:

Click here
02-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

+1 for the "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It is a book that is very well written and very easy to understand. After you read it you will be more confident in using your camera in most any condition. You will learn how to avoid the grain, when you can and you will also learn how to use the grain to your advantage. There's also many more invaluable techniques that the book teaches you. Highly suggested reading.
02-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

+2 on Peterson... Add 'Perfect Exposure' by Micheal Freeman... Add Practice...

Personally... I would advise against auto-iso... Instead, start at iso 100 and work up through the range til you find a shutterspeed you can work with 'handheld' and dependant of the lighting you have in the absence of a tripod...

In fact... use the camera's meter and force yourself to shoot in manual mode... There will be a learning curve but longterm it will be for the best...

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 02-01-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: missed a thought...
02-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I actually bought Michael Freeman's "Perfect exposure" as well as his 2 others "The photographer's eye" and "The photographer's mind".

Got loads of practising and reading to do ^^

Will have a look at Andersob's book too !

Thanks for your replies You got me re-insured with my camera!
02-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Secret Elkina Quote
"The photographer's mind".
This is one I'm missing... As good as 'Eye'?
02-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
+1 for the "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It is a book that is very well written and very easy to understand. After you read it you will be more confident in using your camera in most any condition. You will learn how to avoid the grain, when you can and you will also learn how to use the grain to your advantage. There's also many more invaluable techniques that the book teaches you. Highly suggested reading.
I started "Understanding Exposure" but I must admit I've gotten a bit discouraged by it. He explains the "exposure triangle" well, but when I got to the part about ISO he made some very disparaging comments on higher iso's and specifically stated he was primarily a natural light shooter and assumed his audience was as well. Since the majority of my pictures are taken indoors at night, it rather seemed like Mr Peterson was telling me his book wasn't for me.
02-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Secret Elkina Quote
Thanks for your replies!

I'm a complete beginner and thought I was in full auto mode but obviously I wasn't. I changed the settings as you explained Ash and gonna try it!

Do you have any good website on how to learn about exposure? any other tip for a beginner like me?
Here are a couple of camera simulators that will help show the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.

The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

Tim
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
I started "Understanding Exposure" but I must admit I've gotten a bit discouraged by it. He explains the "exposure triangle" well, but when I got to the part about ISO he made some very disparaging comments on higher iso's and specifically stated he was primarily a natural light shooter and assumed his audience was as well. Since the majority of my pictures are taken indoors at night, it rather seemed like Mr Peterson was telling me his book wasn't for me.
I think its the same with any book... You just have to take what you need...

Try "Night & Low-Light Photography" by Tony Worobiec
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
Some of his readers are using small-sensor P&S cameras, where raising ISO can give really bad results. DSLRs have only recently been able to give decent results at higher ISO. Even software wasn't that good at noise reduction processing until Lightroom 3 or CS5; you had to use dedicated plug-ins. With my *ist DS, I would try everything before reluctantly going any higher than base ISO, 200.

So maybe his advice is a little out of date. With a recent DSLR, you can probably double any of his ISO suggestions and be fine. Just this morning, I took a shot at ISO 400 and hardly shuddered at all.