Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm definitely trying and I think I'm succeeding with the gunk. The stuff that's coming out has mostly been gooey enough to stick to the little wooden tools and where it hasn't, I've been tilting the body so that anything that does try to jump out ends up rolling away from the shutter mechanism.

It's the fluff from the fabric / felt seal to the film door hinge that tried to create a plume of fine black furry dust that's provoking the paranoia.

I'm hoping the combination of a small desk lamp (the little heat it gives off seems to draw the fluff upwards) and me lightly 'puffing' and blowing it away seems to have kept things relatively clean and clear.

I guess I'll only really find out when the camera's been reassembled, had a roll of film fired through it and I've got the prints in my hand.

Thanks for keeping an eye on me!

02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The girlfriend eventually married the camera . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
Good choice with the MGB, they have a very strong following and support structure in the UK.

As for the BL question, without it, I would not be driving around in one of the very last British made MG saloons (March 2005 just before the then descendant of BL - MGRover went under, turning my 3 year warranty in to a 3 week warranty).
I think I was referring to the overly zealous focus on costs reduction at BL which in my opinion eventually made their offerings redundant.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Yep. Nothing builds better character than a Lucas electric system, wire wheels and up-draft SU carbs in an MG A Coupe.

H2
I contemplated making some reference to Lucas, but went for the entire BL travesty. Nothing electrical ever worked on that car. Dates were a lottery whether it would start, to take her home. What a cliche'.

But on a good day it sure was fun to drive!

As I recall it my father declined to let me purchase an MGA from a neighbor when I was 15 (with my own money I had earned, literally, selling eggs door-to-door), then declined to let me purchase a 1957 Mercedes 190 SL convertible (the seller later discovered that there were only 7 imported as his was configured - Arrrghh).

After that he felt bad and bought me (with his money) the MGB as a low-mileage trade-in. I experienced until I graduated from college why the original buyer traded it.

But I sure had a lot of fun driving it!

My wife tells me she agreed to our first date just for the "ride" (and the second because I could dance).

Thankfully, my grandmother gave me a KX and K50/1.4 as a graduation present, the MGB stayed with a fraternity brother in Charlottesville and the girlfriend eventually married the camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-01-2011 at 08:43 PM.
02-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Lucas electrics are "fine", just don`t get them wet.. or damp to that matter.
And those side draft SU`s, WOO-DOO goes a along way. And 2 pieces of 1/4" diameter hose, one for each ear for balancing them.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-01-2011 at 05:58 PM.
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've never played about with carbs. I do remember going to a motor museum in Beaulieu motor museum when I was a kid and being mightily impressed by the engine bay of a bright red 12 cylinder Ferrari of some kind or other (front engined I think and I've no idea whether it was flat or V formation - probably V in the front of the car). I can't recall the image, but have memory of being impressed with the row of 6 twin carbs and moreso by the linkages between them - they'd need more tubing and more ears to go balancing them all .

The thing that sticks in the mind is that this engine bay of an expensive car, being exhibited in a museum was not clinically clean with reflective metallic surfaces and unblemished paintwork. It was dirty - not incredibly dirty - just dirty enough to show that it had seen some kind of regular use. Someone at that museum was taking it out for a regular blast down a twisty road.

Well the film door is currently suspended from the punchbag chain hanging in the shed, masked off with some nice new black enamel spray paint applied. It's all going to be a bit rough and ready, but the intention is only to delay further onset of rust to prevent flakes of old paint and rust from falling in to the moving parts. I had no intention (and insufficient talent) to perform a full cosmetic refurbishment - I think that defeats the object of the little MX being a working tool - not that it will ever earn me any money, it's just not meant to be an ornament.

Mirror foam is being cut next (there's nothing left of the old one - and that may not have been the original). I think I'll leave it until tomorrow to fix it in position.

02-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well the little MX has its film door back on, all seals not that don't require the camera to be disassembled have been replaced, the mirror foam stuck in and ready for a roll of film.

It still looks like it's done 20 minutes in a tumble drier but there's no flaky bits to fall in to the moving parts when the film door is opened and closed anymore.

All I've got to do now is learn how to be anything other than useless at taking photos
02-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Make every shot count, you have only so much ammo.
Good luck with your film adventures.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.