Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #1

manual settings - not. camera changes them

Using my K10D, I want to set my aperture and shutter speed, and I want them to stay at what I set. I have tried both the Tav mode (I know that should compensate for exposure by moderating the ISO), and the M mode, where I expect to be able to choose it all. Trouble is, when I half-press the shutter release, or when I move the camera to a different part of the scene, the LCD panel on the top of the camera shows me that both the shutter speed and aperture are changing. The camera is trying to make some decision for me. That's not what manual mode is supposed to do. I don't care if the picture will be over- or under-exposed. I want it to stay set at what I set. What gives?

01-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tv mode adjusts the aperture and ISO based on your selected shutter speed..

But in M mode, nothing should change at all as you point the camera at different things.

Do you by any chance have it set to auto ISO? In M mode, you should have it set to a fixed ISO, so maybe that's screwing you up.
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Do you by any chance have it set to auto ISO? In M mode, you should have it set to a fixed ISO, so maybe that's screwing you up.
In M mode auto ISO is disabled.
01-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In M mode auto ISO is disabled.
Yeah, one would think so.

But I wonder to what.

01-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is that one odd menu item for auto-adjust exposure that works even in manual mode. Basically, if you settings are waaayyy to far off, the camera will fix it. Turn the option off in the menu. Manual should never change unless you are hitting the green button or turning some dials.
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Yeah, one would think so.

But I wonder to what.
The lowest value in the Auto Aperture range. If the range is set to 100-800 for instance, M mode will set the ISO to 100.

Nothing should be changing automatically in M mode. Only the e-dials or the green button should be changing exposure setting.

01-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
in agreement, but manual mode still changing

Looks like we are all in agreement that it shouldn't be doing what it is doing. JeffJS is right, according to the manual, and to my experience (just did a little test). But I wonder what "odd menu item for auto adjust exposure" that enoeske is referring to? Enoeske? anyone?

I've tried changing the metering mode, and still have the same problem, whether in multi-segment, centered, or spot.

I've tried changing the Program Line setting, as my lens doesn't have an aperture ring (A setting) and that doesn't fix it either.

Still very frustrated.

02-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You'll have to dig through your own manual but for my K20D, its custom menu 10, auto EV compensation. Make sure it is set to off
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
You'll have to dig through your own manual but for my K20D, its custom menu 10, auto EV compensation. Make sure it is set to off
EV Comp is unavailable with M mode ( as with Green, B, and X).

02-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
EV Comp is unavailable with M mode ( as with Green, B, and X).

Its automatic, as explained in my first post. This isn't a user choosable thing. It is the camera automatically changing settings even in manual mode.
02-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Are you pressing the green button after setting your exposure settings? The green button can be configured to (may even default to) adjust the settings to the "program auto" baseline. Basically it's getting the camera to suggest settings. I use this feature a lot to get close to the proper exposure, but I can imagine it being quite frustrating if you weren't expecting it.
02-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
well, I've tried that, and I've avoided using the green button, but I seem to get the same response either way.
02-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I don't have a K10d anymore but I can tell you for certain my K20d does not behave this way and I can assure you as well, my K10d did not. Neither did my K7 nor my K5. The only time M behaved remotely like this was / is, on the K7/5 if using an A type lens, set exposure (in M), half press and try to readjust one or the other (aperture or shutter speed). It behaves as if the exposure is locked and will compensate one setting for the change in the other. On the K20d, if the shutter button is half pressed and one setting is changed, the other stays the same. Regardless of what happens, one of the e-dials must be turned to change anything.

02-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A camera technician may tell me I'm talking bollocks here, but it sounds like a similar problem I had with an old film camera (an MF if I remember). It turned out that the connectors underneath the dial were out of alignment and weren't picking up the contacts for Manual mode when I turned the dial. If all your other mode selections work as they're supposed to then this might be worth exploring further. Does anything change if you push down firmly on the dial while in M mode?
02-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mexico_man Quote
But I wonder what "odd menu item for auto adjust exposure" that enoeske is referring to? Enoeske? anyone?
The name of the option is "Auto EV Compensation", in the Custom Settings menu.