Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I don't want the flash sometimes

I've had my Kx less than a week and have found sometimes I don't want the pop up flash to go off in say, closeup mode or night mode. How do I tell the flash no thanks this time? I have used the no flash mode, but would like to use the other modes as well. If I push it back down, won't it just pop up again the next time I push the shutter button half way?
I thought I'd find it in the flash setting where you say you want red eye reduction but haven't found "no flash"

01-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On those auto scene modes, I don't think so. Those modes are meant to replicate point-and-shoot operation in that they're fully automatic.

Try to wean yourself off those modes and get into the "regular" modes to have more control of flash operation.
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
If I push it back down, won't it just pop up again the next time I push the shutter button half way?
It will never pop up automatically.. (it's easy to check).

dave
01-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
It will never pop up automatically.. (it's easy to check).

dave
???

In auto scene modes?

01-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Ira, I guess I do need to do some weaning. Just wondering, for when I'm lazily getting reaquainted with doing stuff myself.
01-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Easy, put it in "P" mode instead of auto, in P mode the camera will operate the same except the camera wont automatically pop the flash (and a few other differences too).

In all honesty "auto" mode on the K-x is not great, specifically around it using slow shutter speeds with flash.
01-31-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
???

In auto scene modes?
Mea culpa...

I should have read the OP more carefully... (I was in K5 mode).

dave

01-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #8

Its also possible to have manual flash on auto modes on K-x.

You need to put the flash mode on manual mode, to do this press the flash button on the bottom right of your K-x, then select 'Manual Flash Discharge'. This way the flash will only come out when you press the flash up button.
This is available in all program modes.

auto modes arent that bad...
01-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by basditz Quote
Its also possible to have manual flash on auto modes on K-x. You need to put the flash mode on manual mode, to do this press the flash button on the bottom right of your K-x, then select 'Manual Flash Discharge'. This way the flash will only come out when you press the flash up button. This is available in all program modes.
Second this.
02-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks basditz, that's what I was looking for, but I do need to get back into doing things for myself. It's been years since I used my film SLRs. Only had the Kx a week, so it's all new and the manual doesn't answer questions like you guys do.