Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Reasonable price for lense

I bought the K-x one lense kit a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed using it. I am kinda thinking that maybe I should have purchased the two lense kit instead of just the one. What I am wondering is if I should look for the other lense that would have come with it used, and if so about how much should I pay, or is there another similar lense I can look for?

01-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of just buying whatever kit lens they were offering, try to determine what you need. What are you missing now because your lens is limiting you? What type of photos do you want to take? Make a list of things you want to shoot and any other variables you can think of, including how much you can afford. There is a lot of info on this Forum of the relative merits and shortcoming of various lenses.

As far as prices, you are in the US, so B&H and Adorama both sell new lens at competitive prices and are very reputable. Used lens can vary in price, there are on-line auctions, on-line used dealers, the Pentax Forum Marketplace, etc.
01-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am making the assumption that you are referring to the 50-200 or 55-300 kit lens?

I have the 55-300 and really love this lens. I bought mine with the metal mount and hood instead of the DA-L version but I hear that the "L" version has great optics too.

I have seen the DA-L 55-300 in the marketplace here for about $200-230 and the DA version (metal mount) for right around $300
01-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

At some stage, your will need to ask yourself: prime or zoom ?

There are some major differences between prime and zoom lens. The zoom gives you more flexibility, but with some compromise over the focal range length. As a rule of thumb, a prime lens will give a better IQ than a zoom for the same price.

Pentax has a very nice line up of prime lenses, incl. the new and nicely price DA35mm. Why don't you consider ?

Before you by anything more, consider what you want to shoot. Use your kit lens and review your shots. What focal length do you use most? Do you shoot daytime or in low light conditons? Do you shoot outdoor or indoor?

More generally you need to think that 'a lens is worth every penny' and it is an investment. You got what you pay for.

Food for thought....

Last edited by hcc; 01-31-2011 at 02:05 AM.
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Which end of the kit-18-55 do you use the most?

18mm? 55mm? somewhere in the middle?

I was a little 'anti-prime' until quite recently and I still love the flexability of zoom lenses...

However... Recently aquired a few 33mm SLRs with various primes (M-50-f1.7 M-40-f2.8 and a 19mm Vivitar f3.8 among them) and am having a real blast with them!!

I you just want a 'little' extra reach... Go for an old 50mm f1.7... It'll cost you much less!!
If you're shooting wide at 18mm... Get saving for a 10-24 tamron (hmmmm... WIDE!!!)
If you shoot mainly in the middle of the kit range... DA 35mm or an old 28mm f2.8...

My 2 peneth...
01-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am also consider upgrading my kx kit lens. Now I am considering the sigma 17-70. It is not always see here and on ebay. A good used one usually cost around 280 based on my inspection.

I think sigma 17-70 is a step up to 18-55 in term of range, IQ, aperture speed.
01-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
i jumped from a fuji bridge with 18x zoom (28-504mm) to the k-x + 18-55, now im looking for an all terrain (28-300 or 18-250) because there are times when i need all in one, but for portrait, all i need is the 50mm f2
01-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
the day i can trade my 18-55 and 50-200 for the 18-250 i'll be happy.

but that's my personal need. I'd rather one lens that covers my most used range so I don't have to switch between the two lenses. what do i know? I have enough primes to cover my 'want' of primes to play with.

but that's just it for me, i play, this isn't a job and barely a hobby, i just like taking pictures. So, to switch lenses while i am in the middle of a hike is kind of a nuisance.

so, if i had to recommend, i would rather try to convince you to go with one lens because well, if you were me, and cared about kit zoom lenses, then the best quality for the widest range is preferable.

01-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 55-300 DAL is considered a very good lens for its price class (low 200s used or high 200 to low 300 for the DA version) so if you need a telephoto around that length then I would definitely look into getting one. You also have options other than the Pentax lens. I have the Tamron 70-300 Xr Di-II and I like it kind of a lot. It's sharp, very good IQ, good color rendering and has 1:2 macro capabilities but it also has CA pretty bad in certain conditions. I have also heard good reviews about the Sigma 70-300 (I think the APO version is suppose to be better than the non-APO). Overall I would probably say the Pentax 55-300 is a better lens than the Tamron or Sigma but I would do some research (you can find a lot of sample photos from all of those lenses) and decide for yourself. Good Luck!
01-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
The 55-300 DAL is considered a very good lens for its price class (low 200s used or high 200 to low 300 for the DA version) so if you need a telephoto around that length then I would definitely look into getting one. You also have options other than the Pentax lens. I have the Tamron 70-300 Xr Di-II and I like it kind of a lot. It's sharp, very good IQ, good color rendering and has 1:2 macro capabilities but it also has CA pretty bad in certain conditions. I have also heard good reviews about the Sigma 70-300 (I think the APO version is suppose to be better than the non-APO). Overall I would probably say the Pentax 55-300 is a better lens than the Tamron or Sigma but I would do some research (you can find a lot of sample photos from all of those lenses) and decide for yourself. Good Luck!
do not get the sigma APO 70-300, i had mine for 1 day and the dam AF gear stripped. it's a well known problem for this particular lens, the IQ is great, but what use is it when you can't use it ... it's a shame, i liked it alot too.
02-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zero656 Quote
but for portrait, all i need is the 50mm f2
Flog it and get the f1.7 version... You'll absolubtly love it!