Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adapter

Newbie question:
I just bought a 500mm mirror lens and it says I need a T2 adapter for my K200D ..is this the same adapter as for a M42 screw mount lens ?

01-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The T adapter and M42 have threads that are a different pitch - they are the same physical size, however, so it's easy to get this confused. Should be easy to find one on eBay - just do a search on "t adapter pentax" and you'll have quite a few choices.
01-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

No, it's different. Places that sell mirror lenses usually sell the T2 adapter too. It's available on eBay. It should be about $10. The lens has a threaded mount, similar to M42 but not the same thread pitch. Don't use an M42 adapter on it or you'll probably wreck both threads. The correct adapter screws onto the threads and has a K mount. The adapters also have set screws on the side so you can orient the lens correctly. If they're loose the lens will rotate freely.
01-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The threads are .. .

oh.. Never mind..

As stated, just look for a PK T mount adapter. Prices vary somewhat but in my experience, they are all about the same.

01-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter

You can get a factory new aptater for about 30-40$ at almost "any" dealer of optical equipment. Just as an example, find it here:

T-Adapter for Camera Bodies - Edmund Optics

If you search on eBay, make sure that you look for a T2-mount, to be exact, as there are also other less common types such as T4 (which I am almost certain will not be for your mirror lens). What brand is your lens?

B.R. / S G B
01-31-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

T2 T-2 T-MOUNT adapter for Pentax K Film Digital SLRs - eBay (item 190496931709 end time Feb-06-11 16:38:49 PST)

Here you go. Yes, I've dealt with these people a number of times so it Is an endorsement for them.

01-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey thank you guys for yours answers !! The lens brand is Opteka, maybe not one of the berst, but I got it for a cheap price and I was wondering what I can get with this type of lens..
01-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdnkit Quote
Hey thank you guys for yours answers !! The lens brand is Opteka, maybe not one of the berst, but I got it for a cheap price and I was wondering what I can get with this type of lens..
OK, then it is definitely a T2 adapter you are after. As you say, your lens is "maybe not one of the best" --- anyway, have FUN! (I have a K200D and a Tamron mirror tele myself and I do have fun).

You say you are a newbie so just remember (forgive me if this is too obvious):

1. In the customs menu, you must set "Aperture Ring Permitted"

2. Mirror telephotolenses (being fixed aperture) should work well in Av-mode and that way, you don't have to worry about the Green Button as you have in M-mode.

S G B

01-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdnkit Quote
Many people will deride mirror lenses for their image quality, which isn't the best. But the superior non-mirror alternatives cost ten to sixty times more, and require an expensive tripod to hold the weight. So they aren't really an option for everyone.

There's a lot of information and photos here, some taken with the lens you just got:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71775-mirror-lens-club.html