Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How to know what lens support quick-shift feature?

I mean there are so many pentax lens..How do I know which one support quick-shift feature. I suppose only DA lense has this feature. If so, is that any DA has this feature? Any online database I can look up?
And does any sigma or tamron lens support this feature?

01-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the lenses here except the DA 35mm f2.4. Pentax should have called that one a DA-L.

All the lenses here except the three zooms labeled "DA-L" - those are stripped-down versions of the 18-55, 50-200 and 55-300. Those versions are listed here. There are other versions of each that are Quick-Shift.

These three D-FA macro lenses too.

Third-party lenses may have switches to disable AF or other methods, but not exactly like Quick-Shift.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 01-30-2011 at 09:31 PM.
01-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks just1moredave, is 18-250 an exception too? It seems I saw someone metioned that it does not have quick-shift..not know if I remembered correctly.

And so no sigma and tamron one has quick-shift feature on pentax?
01-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
Thanks just1moredave, is 18-250 an exception too? It seems I saw someone metioned that it does not have quick-shift..not know if I remembered correctly.

And so no sigma and tamron one has quick-shift feature on pentax?
Crap, I forgot that one. The DA 18-250 is another exception. Pentax can't really make a whole series of lenses without one or two "well, except for that one" lenses.

01-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the 100mm WR did have QS?
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Pentax should have called that one a DA-L.
Indeed.

Interestingly, the google search result (search for "pentax da 35mm 2.4") for the Pentax page for the 35/2.4 reads "SMC PENTAX DA L 35MM F2.4 AL".

I think we should all keep referring to it as a "DA L". Someday Pentax might just succumb.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Third-party lenses may have switches to disable AF or other methods, but not exactly like Quick-Shift.
Sigma HSM works exactly like Quick-Shift, doesn't it?
01-31-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sigma HSM works exactly like Quick-Shift, doesn't it?
No, HSM is Sigma's version of SDM.

01-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
No, HSM is Sigma's version of SDM.
I thought it was self-evident, but let me put my statement more precisely:

To the user, there is no difference between SDM and HSM. On AF, the focusing ring doesn't turn and the user can correct the focus manually at any time.

I'm very much aware that the underlying technologies are very different. So there is a difference to the user after all in that they have to expect the "Sudden Death Motor" to fail at some point whereas no such problems are known for HSM. But I was talking about the user experience, not the technology.
01-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I thought it was self-evident, but let me put my statement more precisely:

To the user, there is no difference between SDM and HSM. On AF, the focusing ring doesn't turn and the user can correct the focus manually at any time.

I'm very much aware that the underlying technologies are very different. So there is a difference to the user after all in that they have to expect the "Sudden Death Motor" to fail at some point whereas no such problems are known for HSM. But I was talking about the user experience, not the technology.
I have the sigma 17-70 os hsm lens. The focus ring turns when focusing in af, and you cannot turn the focus ring manually without first setting the lens switch to mf.

Your statement seems to equate sdm/hsm with quick shift. Quick shift is not synonymous with sdm. All of my screw drive Pentax DA lenses have quick shift. Quick shift allows manual focusing even when the camera body is set to af. It has nothing to do with sdm.
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I thought the 100mm WR did have QS?
My post wasn't clear there. All three of the D-FA macros have Quick-Shift.

So to sum up, all K-mount lenses in the DA or D-FA series have Quick-Shift, except the 35mm f2.4, the 3 DA-L zooms and the discontinued 18-250.
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I have the sigma 17-70 os hsm lens. The focus ring turns when focusing in af, and you cannot turn the focus ring manually without first setting the lens switch to mf.
I didn't know such an HSM lens existed. B&H thinks it supports "quick-shift" and a reviewer notes that "Despite the HSM designation, manual focus override is not available.". In other words it wasn't entirely unreasonable from me to think that HSM implies "quick-shift" (i.e., full-time manual focus override). Sigma seems to have a budget version of HSM and it is unfortunate that they don't give it another name.

Likewise, I wasn't aware that there are screw-drive lenses which support quick-shift. Since, to the best of my knowledge, every SDM lens supports quick-shift, I was assuming "SDM implies QS and vice versa".

That's why I chose the terminology as I did but you are right: Quick-Shift ability is not tied to a particular focus drive technology.