Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
-Gloat- I think I got lucky...

My wife and I decided it was time to get a DSLR, after using a 6MP Kodak superzoom (not a bad camera but getting old) for a few years. At first I was pretty set on either the Canon T1i or Nikon D3100, but then I did more research and decided to include the K-X in our comparison. Then our purchasing timeline got pushed up due to an opportunity to travel to Costa Rica in about a month. After trying the Canon and Nikon and a K-R (nobody local had a K-X in stock, but aside from being newer and nicer, the controls work pretty much the same as K-X), I decided the K-X might work for us. Then, I noticed a drop in price at B&H on the K-X kit with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses, and it became pretty much a no-brainer.

We bought the K-X 2-lens kit last week for $575, after a Live Chat session confirmed it was a USA warranty. Checking B&H today that kit is out of stock and marked Discontinued! Looks like we got in just under the wire.

Now I'm just obsessively hitting Refresh on the UPS tracking page...

Anyway, I think I learned a lot lurking around here the last couple of weeks, and using other sites like snapsort (although why "popularity" figures into a camera's score is beyond me). So thanks for the info!

Last edited by jswilson64; 01-31-2011 at 10:10 AM.
01-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy your camera and your trip. I love my K-x and hopefully you will love yours too!
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum have a great trip the kx will be a great piece of gear to document it with
let's see some pics when you get back
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a really good deal. I'm waiting for those types of deals to come here to where I am at so that I can get a Kx. My Km is getting old or atleast not as spectacular compared to the recent marketplace.

Have fun on your trip.

01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Well, I don't want to burst your bubble, but the 50-200 is no great shakes--and that's probably why they discontinued that kit. The 55-300 blows it away, basically.

But $479 is still damn, DAMN cheap for that.

In effect, Pentax seems to be dumping the 50-200 to move out old stock.
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I got my first DSLR, a K-x, a couple months ago. I've been having a blast with it. Stop refreshing UPS tracking, download the manual and start reading. That way you'll be able to hit the ground running when you get it. Have fun with the camera, and on your trip!
01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrede Quote
I got my first DSLR, a K-x, a couple months ago. I've been having a blast with it. Stop refreshing UPS tracking, download the manual and start reading. That way you'll be able to hit the ground running when you get it. Have fun with the camera, and on your trip!
That's the nice thing about the K-x. With the non-AA powered cameras, the first thing you have to do is charge the battery, so that's three hours lost!

01-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64g Quote
Anyway,

I think I learned a lot lurking around here the last couple of weeks, and using other sites like snapsort (although why "popularity" figures into a camera's score is beyond me).
Congrats on your purchase, you'll soon forget the "bargain price", that's unimportant trivial stuff. Just enjoy using the camera, it will bring a lot of fun and challenge to your life.

Fwiw: Regarding "popularity"; as heretic as it may sound in any photography appraisal venue, there are some on this 3rd rock who might dare think that aspect, (popularity), to be a quite valid and important criterion for both consideration and assessment in most life aspects -- sacred cow cameras being no exception.

Or, as the old adage goes...
You can fool some of the people all of the time;
You can fool all of the people some of the time;
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Now just point and press that little round silver button on top.. it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on - guaranteed!

.R. -- old enough to know all the adages and to understand the non-physics of why cream floats to the top but still far too young and naïve to live by it all.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-31-2011 at 06:05 PM.
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In case you don't know about this already, there is one thing you need to know when using K-x is that it does not have focus indicators . So it is best for you to choose which focus sensor before shooting anything . I find Center Focus Point is easiest point for me to use in most situations . If you don't do that you may end up wondering why your pictures come out not sharp as you thought .
01-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Well, I don't want to burst your bubble, but the 50-200 is no great shakes
I got the 50-200 WR (they were out of stock of the regular 50-200 so threw it in at no extra charge) when I got my K-x... At 100mm and stopped down to f8 I find it pretty sharp and have had good results

Haven't tried the 55-300 so can't really compare but not sure why 50-200 gets such grief... Maybe I just have a good copy... :-)

That said... Still think they should offer a twin-kit of 18-50 and DA35mm...
02-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
the 50-200 is no great shakes
Ira doesn't particularly like the 105mm Takumar either - wrong on both counts. Just ignore his comments on the 50-200 and use it. It is a good lens and takes great images under most conditions.
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #12
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Haven't tried the 55-300 so can't really compare but not sure why 50-200 gets such grief... Maybe I just have a good copy... :-)
I share your view and sold my DA 55-300. While it is a better lens, it's not THAT much better than the 50-200. The 50-200 is much lighter and smaller.
02-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies and information. I'm already reading the manual, and can't wait to get my hands on the camera. Unfortunately, the weather isn't cooperating here in Dallas (Ice-pocalypse 2011 or whatever they're calling it) so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature and UPS.
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64g Quote
Thanks for all the replies and information. I'm already reading the manual, and can't wait to get my hands on the camera. Unfortunately, the weather isn't cooperating here in Dallas (Ice-pocalypse 2011 or whatever they're calling it) so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature and UPS.
Once you get it there should be some interesting sights to shoot out there!
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Ira doesn't particularly like the 105mm Takumar either - wrong on both counts. Just ignore his comments on the 50-200 and use it. It is a good lens and takes great images under most conditions.
Wow:

You're actually saying the 50-200 comes close to the 55-300?

HAH!

I'm here to try and help people learn the reality of things, not blow smoke up their a*ses.

I also await images of the Tak 105 2.8 that come close to any other lens in the Tak line at the time.