Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric Hendrickson jobs from Canada

I have a new/old film Pentax that on balance needs a checkup and a tuneup. The technician I went to the last time I had one of my cameras looked over has long since retired. I understand Mr. Hendrickson, in Tennessee, Home, has an awesome and well-earned reputation for doing this.

I'm a little concerned, though, about shipping the camera through customs twice.

My questions. Has anyone sent equipment to him from Canada recently, i.e. last few years since all the laws have been tightened? Have there been problems as a result of customs delays, rough handling, etc., on the shipments, in either direction?

Thanks.

01-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
pure speculation here but wouldn't it just go through a scanner? customs wouldn't open the box unless something in there gave them reason to be suspicious; and i don't think a camera would be a good of enough reason for them to care about your little every day package.
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've sent a boat load of stuff to Eric and have never had a problem. I mark it as being sent in for repair and I use his company name/address. He sends it back with a completed repair slip. I think the worse thing that could happen (other than a short delay at the border) is you might get dinged for duty. Shipping always has it's risks, but if it's packages well it should be fine.
01-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
^ah, thanks, smc. Anyone else?

01-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
^ah, thanks, smc. Anyone else?
You really don't need more endorsement than Steve gave you. When he says boatload he means he has shipped and received 20 or 30 cameras and lenses cross-border for repair in the last few years.

If that isn't enough comfoirt, email Eric at pentax27@aol.com and ask him for his experience and advice about helping Canadian Pentax film camera owners. He's a total straight shooter and I don't think there is ANYONE on this Forum who would truthfully say anything ill about him.

FWIW, since 2004 I have had 22 film camera bodies and 15 lenses CLA'ed or repaired by Eric (I buy, try and sell a lot of stuff). I have NEVER had a reason to send anything back for a redo or been unhappy with anything - but if I did he'd make it right.
01-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Monochrome, thanks. This was not a question about Eric. I said his reputation precedes him; I believe all the testimonials -- why not! I am wondering about what happens to cameras shipped across the Canada-US border, especially once they're brought up to ship-shape.

Edit: Anyway, thank you for the suggestion to e-mail directly. That's always the simplest way.

Last edited by asaru; 02-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
02-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes these post conversations don't work well.

Monochrome, thanks. This was not a question about Eric. I said his reputation precedes him; I believe all the testimonials -- why not!
Yes, we all agree abut Eric.

I am wondering about what happens to cameras shipped across the Canada-US border, especially once they're brought up to ship-shape.
I meant, if Steve says his cameras go back and forth across the border without incident you're probably going to be fine.

Edit: Anyway, thank you for the suggestion to e-mail directly. That's always the simplest way.
I'll be interested to know what he says!!

02-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
^Well, I rattled off a bunch of questions, including the one about the best way to ship across the border. Got a very quick response, but nothing about that one. So far no one seems to think it's a problem, I guess.
02-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have also sent Eric 8 camera bodies, 2 lenses and a set of auto extension tubes. Along with Steve I have had zero Canada customs issues and everything has returned safely. Just mark "repairs" on the customs form and you should be ok.

The only other thing I would suggest is have Eric send the items back using a postal service that has a tracking number.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-02-2011 at 08:08 AM.
02-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And, just to throw my .02 into this - I've shipped (and then received back) some lenses the other way - from the US to Canada - for repair and not had any sort of problem or issue either way. I've just made sure I marked the US Customs' form as an item being shipped for repair. And Ralph, the lens repair guy I've used, simply marks the Canadian Customs form as a repaired item being returned to the owner.
02-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the general procedure -- wrap carefully, mark "for repairs" -- seems clear. Thanks, everyone.
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also do not mark down a high declared value on the customs form, or Eric will have to pay duty.

Phil.