Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IR remote advice please

I have had a quick look at previous posts via the search facility and not found the answer so I hope this is not a duplication.

Please can some one who has a remote for their K-x or the K-r tell me from what angles and what distance the receiver will "see" the signal, as I gather there is only a forward facing receiver?
[this relates to having the camera on a tripod some distance away from me to take wildlife photos close up rather than using a tele lens.]

Apart from the Pentax IR remote are there other more economical versions [cheaper] available that experience has shown to work?

I tried the television and dvd player remotes but they dont seem to trigger the camera

thanks

02-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Forum Member

Well, tv remotes definitelly won't work
You can find pretty cheap IR remotes on eBay. I ordered one last thursday for $3, but you can find even cheaper ones there. I should receive it this or next week, so I can't tell you about the distance... Just search for "pentax ir remote"; or "k-x ir remote" for the original one (costs about $5).
02-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
You can find pretty cheap IR remotes on eBay. I ordered one last thursday for $3, but you can find even cheaper ones there. I should receive it this or next week, so I can't tell you about the distance... Just search for "pentax ir remote"; or "k-x ir remote" for the original one (costs about $5).
Actually some people have reported the "off" button on some remotes to work!

I have a cheap one and the distance is fine, I havn't tried to max it out but it's definitely worked from ~3 metres away. The angles depend from which side. If the lens gets in between you and the sensor, the angle is quite restricted, but from the other side it's fairly good.

That's what I've found anyway.
02-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The various IR remotes (including Pentax) have a maximum range of about 4m, and have quite a restricted angle of operation (maybe a 45 deg arc?) in front of the camera.

(No help I know, but other models have a rear facing IR window as well as a forward facing one.)

There are pleany of cheap IR remotes on eBay that work with Pentax dslrs. Maybe if you need more range you could modify one to work with a cable switch? Simple to make and cheap (less than £15 all in).

02-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #5

Hi, you can get a genuine Pentax remote pretty cheap on the market place here or on eBay. I bought mine for $8 a few years back and the price saving isn't enough to consider buying a chinese knockoff.

I can't give you exact angles but anything IR requires line of sight. If you can't see the IR sensor from where you are hiding you won't be able to trigger it. I've managed to use my IR remote with my bodies from around 12 - 15 metres away. The amount of ambient light could be an influence too.

If you want a cheaper alternative you can get a free application to use your PDA or iPhone as a remote. Of course, that's only cheaper if you already have the hardware.

Do the K-x and K-r have a remote socket? I made my own remote release and a 20 metre extension for a couple of $$ back when I had an *istD. You just need a couple 2.5mm stereo plugs and some phone wiring. I've still got the pattern somewhere - pm me if you want it.
02-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
If you want a cheaper alternative you can get a free application to use your PDA or iPhone as a remote. Of course, that's only cheaper if you already have the hardware.

Do the K-x and K-r have a remote socket?
That's impossible, today's PDAs don't have IR, nor does the iPhone.
And no, they don't have a remote socket.

Also, I don't think it matters if you buy original remote or "chinese one". They are both made in China and I would say that the "chinese one" has an advantage there because you can usually control even other-branded cameras with it.
02-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks every one just ordered a "cheap" one and will see what the range is.

02-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K20D and have a Pentax remote and a cheap ebay knockoff, the knockoff has a lot longer range. You'd have to test distance on your camera.
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, yes they do, the problem is finding one that does transmit the correct code.
My Sony RM-PP505 remotes 2nd room button triggers K100D and K7 up to 30 feet away in daylight.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-01-2011 at 06:33 PM.
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just replaced the battery of my Chinese knock off remote, and remembered about this thread so I gave it a quick check . The remote triggered my K-20D at any angle even when the remote did not see the sensor of the camera or completely blocked by a corner of the walls . When I aimed at the side of the camera, the distance was about 4 meters, and when aimed 90 degree to the back sensor of the camera, the distance was about 10 meters ( I had no room to go any farther).
02-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #11

That's impossible, today's PDAs don't have IR, nor does the iPhone.
It is possible - you have to purchase an IR 'dongle'.

A quick google throws up this one Infrared Transmitter | DSLR.BOT

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T:
even when the remote did not see the sensor of the camera or completely blocked by a corner of the walls
Do you think this worked because the IR was being reflected off the walls (sounds like you're testing indoors). Would be interesting to see how an outdoor situation compares.
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote

A quick google throws up this one Infrared Transmitter | DSLR.BOT

Do you think this worked because the IR was being reflected off the walls (sounds like you're testing indoors). Would be interesting to see how an outdoor situation compares.
Yes, I tested indoor and that's what I thought . It's windy today, when it calm down, I'll go out do an outdoor test to see how it does .
02-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
Which is three times more expensive than an original pentax remote
02-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #14

Which is three times more expensive than an original pentax remote
Don't worry, I have come to the RESCUE! Anything with an audio jack can set off your camera! It costs £3 and supports anything your imagination can throw at it!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-si...p3-player.html
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I just replaced the battery of my Chinese knock off remote, and remembered about this thread so I gave it a quick check . The remote triggered my K-20D at any angle even when the remote did not see the sensor of the camera or completely blocked by a corner of the walls . When I aimed at the side of the camera, the distance was about 4 meters, and when aimed 90 degree to the back sensor of the camera, the distance was about 10 meters ( I had no room to go any farther).
Just in case beginners are not aware, the K20D has two remote receivers, on the front and back of the camera. The K-x only has a receiver on the front, so it probably can't receive off-angle remotes as well. I think the extra IR receiver started with the K10D and is found on all the upper-line cameras since then.