Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Sorry if I missed this, but what lenses are those? Pictures don't help most of us; we need to know what's written on the lenses (particularly the front ring on most models.)

Old lenses will work about equally well on any Pentax model, possibly a little more easily on models with better viewfinders. But it's also possible that you won't want to use old lenses; it entirely depends on what models they are.

Paul

02-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What the heck are those two monster ones?
Your next wet dream
02-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shire Quote
I hear what you're saying but I have these lenses and as they've been passed down to me, I'd like to try them

I really like the Pentax DSLR's so even if I don't like the lenses, its not a problem. I can't sell them because of the sentimental value.

I suggested "the cheaper the better" because I'm on a tight budget. I can stretch to the 380 for the K-x but I think the K-r and K-7 are out of my price range. I still think I'd get some decent results with the K-x.

I'll probably just end up using the standard kit lens but I've got these lenses here and they're begging to be used!
Ok, now I get it! In which case I would be tempted to go for a good secondhand model - K20D - that will allow you to really explore your inner creativity. A k20D wouldn't disappoint and would hopefully leave you some cash to put aside towards a K5
02-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've shot for 55+ years but have only used one dSLR so I can't discuss others. I selected my K20D because it offered better price/performance than its competitors, and specifically because I didn't want an "entry-level" camera that I would feel compelled to 'upgrade' anytime soon. Having no income, I can't play the get-the-latest-model game.

How does the K20D compare to other models? It's more advanced than its predecessors, with features not available on its successors. What it lacks: video, and easy low-light capability. What it has: tethering, wired and wireless remotes, WR, heft, enough megapickles, and professional layout of controls. Yes, your lenses will work on it. It's suitable for both field and studio work -- member Benjikan shoots glamour magazine covers with it.

So I'll recommend a refurbished K20D, to serve you well for some time. But on the menu line at the top of this page, click on CAMERAS, then PENTAX DSLR COMPARISON, and gather some data. Good luck!

LENSES: Use what you have. See what they'll do. See how much you can get from them. Then ask yourself, What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? In other words: Where do you want to go? What will get you there? How much will satisfaction cost? The answers will drive your further lens decisions. In my case, that's led me from 3 to ~170 lenses in a couple years, but that's another story...
Wow, that's a lot of lenses!

I have considered the K20, but I'm being drawn to the K-x mostly because of the 720 HD video recording too although a second hand camera might be more practical cost wise and after my trip to the dentist this morning, my wallet might agree!

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
If I had to pick I would take the Kx but not because it is cheap but for bang for buck it would probably be the better one. The Kr is by far better than the Kx but the price difference at the momment is 150$ where I live. So if the Kx are being discontinued I'm guessing the price gap will be much higher in the next couple of weeks. Hence the bang for the buck it would be very good buy.
I had also considered the K-r but like you said, I can't justify the price hike for the extra goodies but that's just me. I'm sure some people wouldn't think twice about getting the K-r

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What the heck are those two monster ones?
I'll get some better pictures this evening and post them up along with model numbers etc if you're interested?

02-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Sorry if I missed this, but what lenses are those? Pictures don't help most of us; we need to know what's written on the lenses (particularly the front ring on most models.)

Old lenses will work about equally well on any Pentax model, possibly a little more easily on models with better viewfinders. But it's also possible that you won't want to use old lenses; it entirely depends on what models they are.

Paul
Hi Paul, I'll get some better pictures and model numbers tonight for anyone who is interested

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Your next wet dream

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Ok, now I get it! In which case I would be tempted to go for a good secondhand model - K20D - that will allow you to really explore your inner creativity. A k20D wouldn't disappoint and would hopefully leave you some cash to put aside towards a K5
Haha, I like you're thinking!
02-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You'd have a tough time with those manual focus lenses shooting the video. Let me re-phrase.....I'd have a tough time.
FWIW, I was in the same boat 2 years ago.
MY THREAD 2 YEARS AGO
Thousands of dollars, 3 bodies, 3 flashes, PP software, stands, tripods, umbrellas, who knows how many lenses purchased and traded later....I'm still here. Broke with a serious LBA. However, I did get one nice shot though of my wife skiing.
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #22

Original Poster
Here are some slightly better pictures of the lenses for anyone interested:

Sigma Telephoto:

SMC:

Sigma 80-200mm:

02-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope you enjoy the hobby, and welcome here.
The K-x should suit you just fine - it's a very capable little starter (and it's not just for newbies )
Then again, check the forum marketplace for even older dSLRs (like the K-m/K2000, K200D or even K100D Super) if continuous shooting speed and more advanced/modern features aren't a must.

02-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
You'd have a tough time with those manual focus lenses shooting the video. Let me re-phrase.....I'd have a tough time.
FWIW, I was in the same boat 2 years ago.
MY THREAD 2 YEARS AGO
Thousands of dollars, 3 bodies, 3 flashes, PP software, stands, tripods, umbrellas, who knows how many lenses purchased and traded later....I'm still here. Broke with a serious LBA. However, I did get one nice shot though of my wife skiing.
Thanks, just read your thread. There is a second hand K20 on eBay the moment that I'm keeping my eye one otherwise I'll go for a k-x
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

i don't know what a kx sells for in the UK but an Italian member has a pretty good looking k20 with grip and 2 batteries in the marketplace (it'll help to balance that huge sigma (which will be a bugger to mf btw with the 48 max aperture)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/131728-sale-p...worldwide.html
02-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Pentax screw mount-Canon EF/EOS camera with focus confirmation adapters are available and work pretty well, but I'd greatly prefer a Pentax K-x camera.
02-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #27

Hello Shire,
I would suggest a best deal with a k20 or k200d (if you can still find them around in the UK.
it is an older model but still superior in comparison of the KM or KX as the body is tropicalised (water resistent).
I know that in Watford there is a very good Pentax store called SRS micros that sells or rent to try also used equipment.
All the best,
Ant
02-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i don't know what a kx sells for in the UK but an Italian member has a pretty good looking k20 with grip and 2 batteries in the marketplace (it'll help to balance that huge sigma (which will be a bugger to mf btw with the 48 max aperture)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/131728-sale-p...worldwide.html
QuoteOriginally posted by Antanico Quote
Hello Shire,
I would suggest a best deal with a k20 or k200d (if you can still find them around in the UK.
it is an older model but still superior in comparison of the KM or KX as the body is tropicalised (water resistent).
I know that in Watford there is a very good Pentax store called SRS micros that sells or rent to try also used equipment.
All the best,
Ant
Thanks for the input guys, I'm torn between the K20 and the K-x. With the K-x I can buy it new (nice to have that piece of mind) and it shoots video (very appealing to me because that's my profession so I know I'll use it a lot). At the same time, I like the K20 because it is weatherproof but I doubt I'd take the K-x out if I thought I might kill it

Think I just answered my own question...
02-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Just so you know what you are getting into: the k-x video mode lacks the usual DLSR control of parameters (for no especially good reason, apparently) and there is no external mic input; it is an extra feature of a still camera, not something suited for serious video work (or so I understand from reading about it here having barely tried it myself ).
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Just so you know what you are getting into: the k-x video mode lacks the usual DLSR control of parameters (for no especially good reason, apparently) and there is no external mic input; it is an extra feature of a still camera, not something suited for serious video work (or so I understand from reading about it here having barely tried it myself ).
Yeah thanks, I know it's not fully controllable but it's still a feature I'd use to make small video's while I was out and about with the camera. I think I'd enjoy the DoF compared to the broadcast and HDV cameras I have at work. I wouldn't shoot video with it professionally.

From looking, am I correct in thinking that the K-x is the most affordable camera to offer 720 HD video?

Thanks