Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #1

Which DSLR to buy for these 35mm lenses?

Morning ladies and gents,

I've been doing a bit of research online because I'd like to find the most suitable Pentax DSLR to go with these lenses. My Uncle was an avid photographer and left me these when he passed away. I'm no stranger to photography (I shoot video for a living) but I'd like to get a DSLR that I can use his old lenses on. Can anyone help me please?

Not the best pictures I'm afraid (taken on my phone a while ago just for reference) but I can get better pics if this will help?

I was considering the K-x because the cheaper the better. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

02-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!

The k-x would be an excellent choice IMO. Add an M42 adapter and you are in business (genuine Pentax highly recommended, the $20 saved with a knock-off is not worth the potential hassle, also using Sanyo Eneloops for batteries is an inexpensive way to avoid uncessary trouble . Don't let the price fool you, the k-x is a very capable camera even in absolute terms, assuming the Eneloops (or lithium AAs) "it just works" too .
02-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Can't help but feel you're coming at this from the wrong direction!

Buy a DSLR for it's own sake (and your photography). The latest Pentax models are great and will all work with your lenses. For that matter any Pentax dslr will work with your lenses (using the adapter).

The risk with '..the cheaper the better' is you could be disappointed and won't get the best from the camera and/or the lenses. In any event even a cheap Pentax dslr will cost more than the lenses are worth

That said, your money!

Last edited by JohnX; 02-01-2011 at 05:21 AM.
02-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!
Any Pentax DSLR will work with those lenses with the appropriate adapter. I recommend the genuine adapter to ensure proper fit and you don't loose infinity focusing capabilities, or at least ensure the adapter you are getting is capable of that.
But back to the DSLR, it all depends on your requirements and budget.
Do you plan to use these lenses only? or do you plan to eventually get modern autofocus lenses?
Do you need the DSLR to be weather resistant? Not if you intend to use these lenses only.
If you are using older manual lenses like these, you will benefit from a split image focusing screen. There are several aftermarket companies doing those for different models. Katz eye (spelling?) are very popular, but I'm not sure if all DSLR models are capable of this.
Does it has to be new or can it be a second hand unit?
Do you plan to print or just digital display? Is this for your own enjoyment as a hobby or do you intend to get "commercial"?
Based on your requirements and budget you can close in your choices from a wide spectrum of possibilities. From a classic *istD to the latest K5.
I don't think this helped much did it?

Thanks,

02-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And one more thing:
How about trying and enjoying film photography? You already have the equipment and it is not that expensive to try. It is a very different experience. Many of us practice it regularly. I really enjoy it.
Whatever path you choose, we'll be here to help.

Thanks,
02-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Welcome to the forum!

The k-x would be an excellent choice IMO. Add an M42 adapter and you are in business (genuine Pentax highly recommended, the $20 saved with a knock-off is not worth the potential hassle, also using Sanyo Eneloops for batteries is an inexpensive way to avoid uncessary trouble . Don't let the price fool you, the k-x is a very capable camera even in absolute terms, assuming the Eneloops (or lithium AAs) "it just works" too .
Thanks for the advice, I'll start having a look for the adaptor now. I've heard great things about those batteries too so I'll grab a set
02-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Can't help but feel you're coming at this from the wrong direction!

Buy a DSLR for it's own sake (and your photography). The latest Pentax models are great and will all work with your lenses. For that matter any Pentax dslr will work with your lenses (using the adapter).

The risk with '..the cheaper the better' is you could be disappointed and won't get the best from the camera and/or the lenses. In any event even a cheap Pentax dslr will cost more than the lenses are worth

That said, your money!
I hear what you're saying but I have these lenses and as they've been passed down to me, I'd like to try them

I really like the Pentax DSLR's so even if I don't like the lenses, its not a problem. I can't sell them because of the sentimental value.

I suggested "the cheaper the better" because I'm on a tight budget. I can stretch to the £380 for the K-x but I think the K-r and K-7 are out of my price range. I still think I'd get some decent results with the K-x.

I'll probably just end up using the standard kit lens but I've got these lenses here and they're begging to be used!

02-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Welcome to the forum!
Any Pentax DSLR will work with those lenses with the appropriate adapter. I recommend the genuine adapter to ensure proper fit and you don't loose infinity focusing capabilities, or at least ensure the adapter you are getting is capable of that.
But back to the DSLR, it all depends on your requirements and budget.

Thanks,
To answer your questions:
Do you plan to use these lenses only? or do you plan to eventually get modern autofocus lenses?
I'll probably use the kit lens the most but might get another one in time.
Do you need the DSLR to be weather resistant? Not if you intend to use these lenses only.
Not really. I hadn't planned on getting it wet/dirty.
If you are using older manual lenses like these, you will benefit from a split image focusing screen. There are several aftermarket companies doing those for different models. Katz eye (spelling?) are very popular, but I'm not sure if all DSLR models are capable of this.
Thanks, I'll look into those
Does it has to be new or can it be a second hand unit?
I have no problem buying used as long as it works as it should.
Do you plan to print or just digital display?
Mostly digital display. I may print the occasional picture but never anything huge.
Is this for your own enjoyment as a hobby or do you intend to get "commercial"?

It's just a hobby so that's why I'm looking for an entry level camera.
Based on your requirements and budget you can close in your choices from a wide spectrum of possibilities. From a classic *istD to the latest K5.
I'd consider and older, discontinued camera if that helps? My budet is about £400 (the price of the K-x)

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
And one more thing:
How about trying and enjoying film photography? You already have the equipment and it is not that expensive to try. It is a very different experience. Many of us practice it regularly. I really enjoy it.
Whatever path you choose, we'll be here to help.
Thanks,
I have done in the past while at University but I'm now in the market for a DSLR. I will shoot some film on the camera soon and I'll post the results!
02-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the Kx is an excellent choice. If hi ISO performance is not that critical, maybe a second hand K20D which is popular with the Katz eye screens.
I personally use my 6MP K100D Super with older lenses like yours and it works beautifully. The 6MP CCD sensor (used on *ist and K100/110 family) produces superb results and I've done prints up to 20"x30" with no problems. The K100D Super supports the latest SDM lenses and shake reduction is great.
Best wishes for an enjoyable journey in photography!

Regards,
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #10

i was in a similar boat last year.

i don't know if you can do this in your parts, but here in the US, i went to the best buy website and picked up a refurbished K100D for about $200 or maybe $250 in 2010.

Looking at the site now it doesn't look like thats an option anymore though...
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If the cheaper the better than I would suggest the Kx. It is very cheap in $ but by no means a cheap camera. I have had one for about a year and it is more than enough for me. The IQ and ISO capabilities are on par with cameras 2-3x its price and will make a great pair with the lenses pictured. Good luck and enjoy!
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've shot for 55+ years but have only used one dSLR so I can't discuss others. I selected my K20D because it offered better price/performance than its competitors, and specifically because I didn't want an "entry-level" camera that I would feel compelled to 'upgrade' anytime soon. Having no income, I can't play the get-the-latest-model game.

How does the K20D compare to other models? It's more advanced than its predecessors, with features not available on its successors. What it lacks: video, and easy low-light capability. What it has: tethering, wired and wireless remotes, WR, heft, enough megapickles, and professional layout of controls. Yes, your lenses will work on it. It's suitable for both field and studio work -- member Benjikan shoots glamour magazine covers with it.

So I'll recommend a refurbished K20D, to serve you well for some time. But on the menu line at the top of this page, click on CAMERAS, then PENTAX DSLR COMPARISON, and gather some data. Good luck!

LENSES: Use what you have. See what they'll do. See how much you can get from them. Then ask yourself, What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? In other words: Where do you want to go? What will get you there? How much will satisfaction cost? The answers will drive your further lens decisions. In my case, that's led me from 3 to ~170 lenses in a couple years, but that's another story...
02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If I had to pick I would take the Kx but not because it is cheap but for bang for buck it would probably be the better one. The Kr is by far better than the Kx but the price difference at the momment is 150$ where I live. So if the Kx are being discontinued I'm guessing the price gap will be much higher in the next couple of weeks. Hence the bang for the buck it would be very good buy.
02-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the heck are those two monster ones?
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't get discouraged if you have a hard time with the manual lenses at first. They are a little harder to learn that the kit lens, but with some practice and patience can produce great photos. I have the K20D, a great camera, but I've read a lot of great things from the users of the kx. You'll win either way!