Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Chinon 135mm f2.8 M42

Hi,

I have the mentioned lens in a M42 screw mount. The problem I'm having is that after I screw the lens on, I can't seem to set the aperture to the one desired. It basically stays wide open no matter how much I turn the ring. The switch on the lens is turned to Manual (M showing on the lens).

When I try to turn the aperture ring when the lens is dismounted it closes fine. Anyone knows what could be causing this?

Btw, my Takumar 200mm doesn't have this kind of problems.

02-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a Chinon, but I'm sure you've tried setting it to auto, in case the lens marking is opposite of most. There is no pin getting depressed when screwed in is there? Something is changing when the lens is mounted, look closely when mounting it, compare the mount to your Tak.
02-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerBelly Quote
Hi,

I have the mentioned lens in a M42 screw mount. The problem I'm having is that after I screw the lens on, I can't seem to set the aperture to the one desired. It basically stays wide open no matter how much I turn the ring. The switch on the lens is turned to Manual (M showing on the lens).

When I try to turn the aperture ring when the lens is dismounted it closes fine. Anyone knows what could be causing this?

Btw, my Takumar 200mm doesn't have this kind of problems.
Also, put a base cap on lens and try out aperture, if it works then it might be something on your camera mount. If it doesn't work, look at base of lens carefully, even with a magnifying glass and see if there is anything unusual
02-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you guys. I'll try it out today and let you know the results.

02-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
I seem to have solved the problem somehow or it solved itself :S
Anyway, if I hold the lens upside down (with the front end facing me) the aperture closes and opens just fine, even when mounted. So I'm thinking it must be something in the aperture ring that's a bit loose.