Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

upgrade time ist dl to ??

Hi, ill give you guys alittle bit of info about my needs first. I have a *ist DL and well its just getting old. I just got pentax f 1.7 because we have alittle kid running around and i take alot of low light photos. I have been looking at the K7 and KR both seem great but the K7 is looking better for me anyone use both of them? I cant find shop around me that sells both of them so i can go hold them. But is the KR that much better in low light that i should get it over the K7?

thanks for any help

02-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi...

I have a K-x which is reportedly much better n low light than the K7... I believe the KR has similar if not better low light capabilities...

The KR will cost you less... The K7 has (imo) better ergonomics and build quality as well as WR...

Both will (as seen on this site) produce great images... But I believe that in general the K7 produces the better image if shooting RAW

Personally... I'd save another couple months and go K5... But out of the 2 probably K7

I love my K-x but in hindsight I wish I'd have saved longer for a K7 (this was before the release of the K5)

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 02-01-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: missed bit...
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I recently upgraded from the ist* Dl to the K-7 and am very happy. As far as the low light performance I am not sure. The K-7 is much better than the ist* and I do not think that you would be disappointed. I would say that pictures taken at iso800 on the ist* are not as good as pictures taken at 1600 on the k-7, maybe even 3200. Overall, I do not believe you will feel like you missed anything upgrading to the K-7.
02-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anything you upgrade to is going to be an improvement over the DL. I used a DL for years and still love the camera but once I upgraded I just couldn't look back.