Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
File naming for multiple cameras

Hello all,
I had some trouble naming this thread and I'm not sure I found anything related here.
I upgraded to a K5 from the K10 (I will keep it as a spare) and I love every moment it's firing...but, I now thought of the way to deal with my file numbers that will eventually catch up with those from the K10...?
I am using the default numbering system for RGB color space: IGPxxxx.yyy (usually .DNG) and it reached IGP7349 for the K10; but what happens when the K5 shows IGP7348 and beyond? I was happy with this system so far, using keywords, labels, and saving names in special cases...etc
I know a lot of you guys use more than one body but how do you set up your image filing so no confusion exists in the computer when saving. Pentax doesn't offer much of a choice. Batch renaming every time? I thought about K5_IGPxxxx.yyy and K10_IGPxxxx.yyy...? I can't set xxxx at 7350 either...
Or, am I on the wrong track here, but just curious about the ways to solve this...

02-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A lot of people change the original names. I like to keep mine though. But it doesn't have anything to do with multiple cameras. I have three different IMGP5536.PEF files on my PC, from three different years with 25000 shots from my K10D. But the files are in very different folders, so it's not a problem for me.
02-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can define your file name prefix on the K5, so rather than IGP, you could call it RNV if you wanted to.
Also, if you are shooting RAW, the colourspace tag is meaningless as your converter is what is setting the colourspace. Set your colourspace to Adobe RGB if you are shooting jpegs. It's a wider capture space, and you can always convert to sRGB if you need to.
If you are shooting raw, then set your import colourspace (on your raw converter) to Prophoto RGB (I believe this is the widest), and convert to sRGB as the last thing you do if you need to.
What shooting raw all the sRGB setting in the camewra does is take away one letter in the filename and replaces it with an under_score.
I have identified my files by camera since they introduced the feature.
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I choose K5_0xxxx in camera... I'll change to K5_1xxxx once past 9999...

And on my hard-drive, I kept two separate subdir when I still had both K7 and Kx...

For example, I have the following tree:
2010 \ 2010-12 - December \ DNG K7
2010 \ 2010-12 - December \ AVI K7
2010 \ 2010-12 - December \ DNG Kx
2010 \ 2010-12 - December \ AVI Kx

With small-sized JPG (renamed after the body) under :
2010 \ 2010-12 - December

This way, everything was kept separate for the original files, and I still had a timeline-coherent view under the Month directory, when classed by "date taken".

02-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I worried about this when I got a K10 as well as an *istD and also what to do when the cameras each reached 10k

The solution was simple

I download images from each card one at a time and rename using the batch rename utility in PSP X3. I add a custom prefix either K10D or istD to identify the body and add a leading 1 or 2 in front of the sequential file number so that there is no confusion over files. The K7d allows for custom file nes so I set it up with the prefix K7d

Edit note

Just to clarify after seeing Jeff's response

My files are also stored in a directory structure of Year/month/Event (optional)

Photo names in each directory appear as istD-xxxxx, K10D2-xxxxx, or -K7Dxxxx (for the moment)

For the *istD and K10D I have 5 digits because each is over 10K shots. The K7 I have left using the ddefault structure of a 4 character prefix including the underscore for adobe color space, and 4 digits.

I wil go for custom renaming when it hits 10K in the next month or so.

I do renaming in a separate directory for each camera, so I can do really large batches of shots if needed, and to avoid misnumbering. The K10D has a 2 in the prefix to denote when the shutter got changed out. Youo could also use something like this for determining one of 2 otherise identical bodies, but make sure they are marked.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 02-02-2011 at 06:33 AM.
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Inactive Account

K5JSxxxx
JSIRxxxx

Files are sorted on the drive by year, then month, then day. I keep a constant run on the folder name (leave the latest folder on the card) and each new day, the camera will create a new one.

02-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everyone, I see that this is a fairly common situation and I appreciate your comments. I also see that it all depends on the filing system one uses, so, now is the time for me to finish this off...
That K5 is magic... maybe a bit of an "overkill".
02-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
I choose K5_0xxxx in camera... I'll change to K5_1xxxx once past 9999...
Good thinking that man regarding the rollover of the counter, except my first 2 chars will be the year I think. I was renaming mine by inserting a 1 at the right spot, which isn't hard to do with the right programme, but your method can now reduce my method by one step!

02-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Good thinking that man regarding the rollover of the counter, except my first 2 chars will be the year I think. I was renaming mine by inserting a 1 at the right spot, which isn't hard to do with the right programme, but your method can now reduce my method by one step!
that's why I use the batch rename in PSP X3, it allows a defined prefix and a defined starting number for the file, so I just add the 1, 2 or what ever as part of the batch rename process, I avoid a leading character 1 in the prefix because when you are about to roll over, this becomes prolematic, where as a starting number with the correct most significant digit at the start of the rename sequence rolls over correctly automatically
02-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I replace IMGP with YYMMDD date format so everything is chronological. I sometimes adjust the actual sequence number to flow better. The free Flexible Renamer is incredibly...flexible.
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
that's why I use the batch rename in PSP X3, it allows a defined prefix and a defined starting number for the file, so I just add the 1, 2 or what ever as part of the batch rename process, I avoid a leading character 1 in the prefix because when you are about to roll over, this becomes prolematic, where as a starting number with the correct most significant digit at the start of the rename sequence rolls over correctly automatically
But I think, if I read this right, you have a renaming step in there, or is it automatic when importing? Whereas I'm trying to avoid any renaming at all.

Your sentence re the leading character etc. I don't follow. I will now prefix my files in-camera like this: 1101xxxx (as I've rolled over numbers once). When I get to 11019999 I'll change the prefix to 1102, so the first of that sequence will be 11020000. Next year I'll change it to 1202xxxx (presuming I haven't rolled over again, otherwise it'll be 1203xxxx). I'm not trying to change your ways at all, but can you see a problem with this?

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I replace IMGP with YYMMDD date format so everything is chronological. I sometimes adjust the actual sequence number to flow better. The free Flexible Renamer is incredibly...flexible.
Using the numbering of the camera also keeps everything chronological.

I use Bulk Rename Utility which has a mind-boggling array of options, including changing the file dates etc. to the date taken (ie. it can read the exif dates).
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
But I think, if I read this right, you have a renaming step in there, or is it automatic when importing? Whereas I'm trying to avoid any renaming at all.
i have a step,. I put all files in one directory, and then do a batch remame. I do this because it does not change the file creation date, where as importing puts the current date onto the file.
QuoteQuote:

Your sentence re the leading character etc. I don't follow. I will now prefix my files in-camera like this: 1101xxxx (as I've rolled over numbers once). When I get to 11019999 I'll change the prefix to 1102, so the first of that sequence will be 11020000. Next year I'll change it to 1202xxxx (presuming I haven't rolled over again, otherwise it'll be 1203xxxx). I'm not trying to change your ways at all, but can you see a problem with this?

Using the numbering of the camera also keeps everything chronological.
the difference is the trailing 1 0r 2 in your prefix really should be the most significant digit of the renumbering sequence.

My program already has the prefixes for each camera, so all I need to do is sort by creation date, and enter the starting frame number, usually the camera frame number, but by adding a 5th (leading) digit, 1, 2 or what ever. If the sequence rolls over 9999 to 0000 it automatically has the leading figit roll over, where as your method has the roll over go from 19999 to 10000, as opposed to 20000 because your leading digit is manually entered as a prefix
02-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Of course I only have the one camera, but I can see a problem with my idea if I change cameras, as a new camera would start again at 0001 (more or less), so my file numbers may clash. I'm just trying to save that renaming step completely, not much to save I know, but I sometimes forget to do it!

I may have to forget that idea however and go back to something simpler. I haven't had to think about this before, but 2010 was the first year I rolled over a camera count.

Thanks for your thoughts.