Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Mold?

I always run accross older lenses, and would like to know symptoms of mold.
Once in a while I'll see a lens with black "flecks" , is that fatal for a lens?

02-01-2011, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black specs can also be dust or small paint, plastic, or metal chips inside the lens.

Mold and fungus often have a more organic shape with filaments or branches (like fungus on food, rocks or trees) and they come in a variety of colours. It really depends on how much the fungus has grown and the type. If you ever look through a lens with a serious fungal infestation you will recognize it right away.

Generally speaking, small dust specks don't noticeably impact image quality. The same is true for small amounts of fungus, however there is always a concern that fungus will continue to grow. Either can be cleaned out of a lens but a professional cleaning may be more expensive than replacing a cheap lens.
02-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if you can get it where you are but I saw a thread on a 3rd party site before about using cold creme to clean lens optics free of fungus

Good site about fungus
Fungus and Camera Lenses

The blog showing cold creme being used to get rid of fungus
Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Cleaning fungus traces ... (1)
02-02-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Quote
I'm not sure if you can get it where you are but I saw a thread on a 3rd party site before about using cold creme to clean lens optics free of fungus
Much to my surprise cold cream does work. I picked up a Vivitar 28mm with bad fungus on the inside of the front element. I took it to bits and tried mild detergent and then isopropanol to no effect. A liberal application of cheap cold cream left on for about five minutes followed by a detergent and deionised water wash removed all traces of the fungus. After some 6 months it has not returned.

02-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth Quote

Good site about fungus
Fungus and Camera Lenses

The blog showing cold creme being used to get rid of fungus
Shooting with a Pentax K10D: Cleaning fungus traces ... (1)
I've got a spare m 50 1.7 at home with fungus, i'll have to try these out (worst case i screw the lens up disassembling, it's a loss at this point anyway)