Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Off camera flash

I have questions.

Can somebody advice on what equipment is best if i want to have a two off camera flashes to take interior shots?
I read a lot and it is kinda overwhelming. And major sources are for canon and nikon.

What pentax flash is best for that purpose ( i bought one AF360 for now). What system to use to connect'em? wireless/infrared ?
Also in terms of flash/umbrellas stands, which is the lightest and the best?

Thanks everyone

02-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many ways to do off-camera flash, it all depends on the distance you'd like between your flash and the camera. With your current setup, the easiest way to do this would be to set your 360FGZ in wireless slave mode and have the pop-up flash on your camera trigger it. You should be able to do this with multiple flashes so long as they're set on the same channel.

For even more distance, many people like using what's known as a radio trigger. Instead of using an optical slave that fires based on light from another flash, radio triggers fire based on radio frequencies. This tends to be more reliable for working in greater distances. As to which radio triggers are best, well there's a variety of them from relatively inexpensive chinese brands like Cactus V5, to brands that the Pro's swear by like Pocket Wizards, Radio Poppers, or Elinchrom Skyports. It all depends on your budget and your needs. Same goes for stands and modifiers (i.e. umbrellas). For stands, lightest isn't necessarily the best, as you don't want the thing to tip over when you have something attached to it. But you can always use something to anchor it down, like sandbags or weights. Reputable brands for light stands include Manfrotto, Avenger, and Matthews.

Last edited by einstrigger; 02-01-2011 at 10:32 PM.