Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Beginners K-x problem with photo review.

Hey, I've only had my K-x for a few days now, but all of a sudden it started displaying a thick black line at the bottom of pictures in playback as if the info was being displayed all the time.

I know it's not the biggest deal, as I am pretty sure it's not affecting the quality of the pictures being taken--but does anybody know how to switch it back to full screen playback?

Resetting menu options and custom settings hasn't helped.

02-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here.
I can't be certain what that thick black line is other than the extra info panel that normally appears when pressing the info button. Pressing the info button a number of times toggles between the different playback views and may restore your desired appearance.

Hope this helps.
02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Ash. Even when pressing the info button until all the playback information is hidden, the image remains not in full screen on the LCD with a little bar on the bottom of the screen..

Could it have something to do with the size of the picture (piexelage) or the fact that I set the camera to not automatically auto-rotate the pictures in playback.... ?
02-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

It may seem a silly suggestion but I once had a thick black line on the left side of my computer monitor. No matter what I did, it would not go away. Turns out all I had to do was move the light on my desk as it was casting a shadow from the screen frame on to the screen.

Of course for it to be consistent in your case you would always have to be viewing in the same place, at the same angle. More likely, I would try reformatting the card and see if that helps.

02-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can you use your camera phone or some other camera to take a picture of the problem, then upload it here so we have some idea of what you are talking about.
02-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #6

Don't worry, this is not a bug or a problem.

the k-x screen has a different aspect ratio than the sensor. Meaning, the pictures are 2x3, but the screen is 3x4 (almost), so you will always have black bars on top and bottom when fully zoomed out. (like watching a movie on an old tv)

Also, did you know you can keep making pictures when in review mode? once you press the shutter it will start focusing and switch back to shooting mode instantly. To zoom out fully press the ok button, very handy if you have the quick zooming on. (something I just discovered this week)

Last edited by basditz; 02-03-2011 at 03:33 PM.
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
I think the info is no longer being displayed on top of the image itself, but on a separate, blacked out bar permanently underneath the image. I could be wrong, but I sweat when I first got the camera the images in playback were being displayed with the entire screen.

I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with your camera, the gap at the bottom is always there unless you zoom in with the e-dial.
02-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Permanently? I SWEAR the shots were different the first 48 hours I had that camera.

Regardless, sorry for your troubles- and thanks for the troubleshooting. Be back soon.
a\
02-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

try pressing the Info button, it will display basic info (it has 3 modes, 1 none, 1 basic and 1 all-info which zooms out the image to display all info) if that doesn't work...

try zooming the image with the e-dial, if the black bar does not disappear, then you have a problem with the LCD...

as far as I remember the screen of the K-x is on a 4:3 aspect ratio while the pics it takes is on 3:2, so all pictures you take will not entirely fill the screen when it's on "fit to width" view mode...