Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D used, or K-7 new?

I'm new to digital photography so the comparison charts are still a foreign language to me. I'd like a camera that I can use for quite a while without feeling like I need to upgrade. From what I can see, it looks like a new K-7 is selling for roughly $300-400 more than a used K20D. I don't have an immediate need for lens as I have quite a few old lens I'd like to experiment with for awhile. I just cannot decipher if the K-7 is worth $300-400 more than the K20D. (I'm not prepared to spend as much as the K-5) One nice point in favor of a new camera is several places are offering a 2 year additional Pentax warranty for 10.00-20.00. Most extended warranties are way over priced (IMO) but that is cheap enough, I'd buy some 'peace of mind'.

I don't care about video as I do have a video camera now. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

02-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do a comparison between the two cameras using the forum's camera review comparison page accessed from the Cameras tab above. It basically comes down to video capabilities (and using the lenses you put on the camera makes all the difference, but it will be manual focusing for video) and a few extra features that the K20D doesn't have like HDR processing and lens corrections. The ergonomics and user interface between the two are also different - you may as well have a feel for the two cameras to see which one 'feels' better for you.
02-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

I would go definitely for a new camera to benefit from the warranty. It cannot be stated enough the peace of mind of the warranty.
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K20D is fantastic but the K7 is better at high ISO, is smaller and the processing is improved (as it always is). If the ergonomics suit you, go with it.

02-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I love the marketplace and shop for used gear all the time. Used is fine for lenses, but when it comes to cameras I personally feel it is good to buy a brand new one with warranty.
02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

In Practical use, there is little difference between the cameras. That is, you have the same Type of control over one as you do the other. The K7 however has some creature features that make it's use somewhat easier. It has a faster autofocus and in my experience, more accurate. A lot of the features on the K20d were carried over to the K7 so doing a chart compare will only tell what is different about the two. If money is an issue, I would suggest the used K20d. Both are going to deliver great photos though.

02-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for responses. I *think* I'd eventually like to get a K-5, but I've always been fond of last year's model on things when it saves me some money. I used to love photography, but I'm not sure if the passion is still there so I didn't want to invest so much to find out.

The entire digital lingo seems so foreign to me, but I managed to pick a couple of cameras that will both meet my needs so I'm not entirely hopeless. I called B&H photo about the extended warranty as Amazon lists it on all K series cameras and B&H only on the K-5 and K-x. One hopes you never need these, but it's offered through Pentax Imaging so I've emailed them to see if it would still be valid on the K-7. I won't base the final decision on an extended warranty or lack there of, but it's a consideration. From the comparison charts it was just hard for me to determine if I was getting a $300-400 bang for my buck. Has anyone tracked how long it take it typically takes a camera to come down from the MSRP? Anyone have a camera they want to loan me for 6 months to see if I love photography enough to buy the k-5? No? I guess I'm off to my local store to see if I can handle both models. Thanks again.

02-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
I love the marketplace and shop for used gear all the time. Used is fine for lenses, but when it comes to cameras I personally feel it is good to buy a brand new one with warranty.
I agree with this totally, and I'm a happy K20D owner.
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

I was actually kinda wondering the same thing as the OP, so it's nice to get some insight here. My K2000 is great, but I sorta feel like I've outgrown it. I don't want to spend a fortune on a new body so I was also eyeing the K20D.
02-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah, it's good to know I'm not alone in these quandaries. Repair costs do give one reason to pause.
02-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When the K-5 came out, there were quite a few used K-7s for sale. Used compared to used, the price difference isn't so bad, and looking at that helps separate your thoughts about buying used from spending more money.

When I got my K-7 about 9 months ago, I did not really want a K20D, only because of the size. The K-7 does some stuff better, but except for size, I could give all that up. Video probably tips the balance but people who would use video probably just went ahead and bought a camera that does it.
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
When the K-5 came out, there were quite a few used K-7s for sale. Used compared to used, the price difference isn't so bad, and looking at that helps separate your thoughts about buying used from spending more money.
This seemed to clarify things for me more than anything. It should have been obvious, but that made me see the equation I was missing. Thanks.
02-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I do not own either camera but have done some research on both and I think the K7 is better than the K20 in most every way plus the new K7 would have a warranty. This sounds like an easy choice to me, wait, except for the $ difference, but I think the $ is definitely worth a K7 over a K20.