Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k20d + met 48f wireless problem

Hi,

I am trying to use met 48f remotely and it works ok.

Problem is that it also fires normal flash, it doesnt matter what i choose Off in Flash in Wireless Mode.

Is the normal? I thought that normal flash doesnt have to be fired if I want to fire ONLY external flash.

Normal flash makes a lot of direct shadows which I dont want.

Is this normal behaviour?

02-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

I assume you're using the pop-up flash to fire metz wirelessly? If so, you need to go to custom settings and change the pop-up flash setting to controller mode.
02-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I assume you're using the pop-up flash to fire metz wirelessly? If so, you need to go to custom settings and change the pop-up flash setting to controller mode.
That is what I have done.

it doesnt matter what if choose Off in Flash in Wireless Mode.

custom menu, option 29. Flash in Wireless Mode, option 2. Off (Fires builtin flash as controller in Wireless mode).

It still flashes and makes direct flash.
02-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Problem is that it also fires normal flash, it doesnt matter what i choose Off in Flash in Wireless Mode.

Is the normal? I thought that normal flash doesnt have to be fired if I want to fire ONLY external flash.
This is as designed (I don't want to use the term "normal"). If you choose "Off" in wireless mode, the built-in flash still fires, but with less power than "On" setting.

Pentax p-TTL uses pulses of light to communicate between units. This is true not only for Pentax but for any other flash technology that uses a preflash strobe (essentially all current cameras).

The only way to avoid the strobe from the built-in flash is to use some sort of RF remote flash trigger.

02-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
This is as designed (I don't want to use the term "normal"). If you choose "Off" in wireless mode, the built-in flash still fires, but with less power than "On" setting.

Pentax p-TTL uses pulses of light to communicate between units. This is true not only for Pentax but for any other flash technology that uses a preflash strobe (essentially all current cameras).

The only way to avoid the strobe from the built-in flash is to use some sort of RF remote flash trigger.
Thank you.

It makes this however completely unusable solution for me and I wll buy some RF remote trigger. I have also created 3 photos for you to see that it just isnt some sort of flash but it is full power flash
02-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Here is the link for testing series

http://www.webwrx.sk/clients/flash.jpg

As you can see in description there is virtually no difference in external flash.

Reason for that is that close range and dark the internal flash is so powerful and useless that it makes it's own light, shadows and overexposure ...

If remote trigger can solve this then I am buying it now. Problem is how is it with exposure and shutter speed? Does it just fire into the wild? Or does it somehow compensate with k20d ?
02-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If remote trigger can solve this then I am buying it now. Problem is how is it with exposure and shutter speed? Does it just fire into the wild? Or does it somehow compensate with k20d ?
I don't think traditional remote triggers can send exposure data, so with 48 you will have to use manual mode on the flash.
With 58 and some other flashes (most of the older flashes, like vivitars and sunpaks), there's auto mode that uses a sensor on the flash itself - but 48 doesn't have that.
02-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
As you can see in description there is virtually no difference in external flash.

Reason for that is that close range and dark the internal flash use is so powerful and useless that it makes it's own light, shadows and overexposure ...
You got me curious so I pulled out my K20D and Metz 48 and tried a similar series. From 1.5m away with a 90/2.8 @f5.6 iso200 and the Metz next to the subject but pointed away from it, the difference between the on-board flash being "on" in the menu versus "off" was very obvious. I don't know what we did different and I know from a similar thread a few months ago that the on-board does fire when "off" when the shutter is open but at a reduced level. I guess if I had used f1.4 at iso1600 the on-board would look stronger as in your samples. Then I would get more curious and build a small paper deflector that fit one of my diffusers or modifiers to shield the subject from any direct flash from the on-board.

But I do most remote flashing outdoors so have been planning on a RF signal contoller/slave for a while now. Hmmm...I still may create a little shield just as a proof of concept project. Good luck in solving your specific problem.

02-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #9

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have a K20D & Metz 48 as well but never worried about trying the wireless setup, just went & got some Yongnuo RF-602s & use them. Flash has to be in manual but its easy to use like that anyway. Easiest way to go about it I think.
02-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
You got me curious so I pulled out my K20D and Metz 48 and tried a similar series. From 1.5m away with a 90/2.8 @f5.6 iso200 and the Metz next to the subject but pointed away from it, the difference between the on-board flash being "on" in the menu versus "off" was very obvious.
Can you please try the same experiment with the K5 and post the result.

The K7 is terrible. The control strobe (I know, not master) is so bright it many times ruins the shot.

I guess it's just a trade-off. If the control strobe is weak, the external flash can't see it in bright ambient light.
02-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Can you please try the same experiment with the K5 and post the result.

The K7 is terrible. The control strobe (I know, not master) is so bright it many times ruins the shot.

I guess it's just a trade-off. If the control strobe is weak, the external flash can't see it in bright ambient light.

Be happy to. Will let you lknow when I have K5 results.