Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

k-7 battle damage

After shooting and fishing Fremont Canyon here in WY I made the heart gurgling mistake of leaving my camera bag on top of the car. I was probably going 25mph when the bag fell off and hit the semi-dirt road. Upon retrieval I was amazed to find that the camera had initially impacted on the left corner of the body and after taking hundreds of pictures the only damage I can see is a nasty gouge out of the magnesium body.

I'm looking to sell the K-7 so I can impulsively and irresponsibly by a K-5. Wanting to be honest with a buyer I plan on telling them the truth of this debacle and am wondering if Pentax would perform a general "wellness check" of the camera and how much that might cost.

Thanks y'all.

02-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt anything happened to the camera, but you should definitely have the shutter checked. Having Pentax do it might cost several hundred dollars.

BTW, you can list the camera for sale in our Marketplace, but you'll need marketplace access for that. Feeler threads like these have been happening more and more lately, so just make sure you have marketplace access if you want to continue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You may want to check:
1) the alignments of the viewfinder and the level indicator.
2) flash
3) shutter in various speeds (single & cont modes)

Checking the viewfinder:
Put the camera on a table, lens pointing to the edge, camera exactly in parallel with the edge of the table. Look through the viewfinder and make sure the bottom of the view is parallel with the table edge.

Checking the level:
Take another (water) level to make sure you table in level.
Put the camera on the table and check camera level.

Cheers, Bert
02-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the camera is still under warranty, Pentax should do a "wellness check" for free.

02-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm thinking the large bite mark out of the body would make Pentax apprehensive about honoring a warranty. I checked the camera level as per Bert's advice and all seems fine. I just threw down tax return money on the DA 15mm and now have lens fever. I think I'll just hold on to the k-7 and wait for the k-5 to drop dramatically.
02-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
If the camera is still under warranty, Pentax should do a "wellness check" for free.
You are joking! Warrantees don't (or shouldn't) cover accidental damage, which is what this might be. Insurance can - check the household policy.
02-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
You are joking! Warrantees don't (or shouldn't) cover accidental damage, which is what this might be. Insurance can - check the household policy.
No joke. I work in the service industry. The free check up is exactly that, a check up, cleaning and adjustment only. When this check up service is included in the warranty, it's cost in rolled into the price of the product. The buyer has already paid for it. The reason the customer is asking for a check up does not matter, he has this warranty service available, if he wants it. If the service tech feels that the unit was damaged do to customer 'miss use', then the repair is billable. I do it all the time.

02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, impact damage is not covered by the warranty.