Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use a cable-release for your photography?
Yes! Quite often. 627.27%
Sometimes, but not too frequent. 1150.00%
Only a few times. 29.09%
Not at all. 313.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Cable release options?

I have a pentax K-x and am currently searching for a cable release. I read from a random reviewer off amazon that the pentax k-x model is not compilable with any type of cable releases...is this true?
I am looking into getting this one: Amazon.com: Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release - Camera remote control - radio: Electronics

But I'm not sure if I should. Please give me some help! I'm SO lost right now that it's not even funny... well, maybe it is a little funny lol

Last edited by NoobPhotographer; 02-04-2011 at 09:08 AM.
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's compatible with a remote, which is probably even better: Pentax Remote Control F 37377 B&H Photo Video

Have you considered one of those at all?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

You should rename you post and be more specific.

A cable release and a remote are two very different items. I never us a cable release but often use a remote, so I did not answer your poll.
02-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
You should rename you post and be more specific.

A cable release and a remote are two very different items. I never us a cable release but often use a remote, so I did not answer your poll.
I did rename the post to be more specific as you suggested...
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a remote until a few mins ago! I'm sorry that the poll is irrelevant to you and probably a lot of other people, unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to change the poll...so it will have to stay the way it is. =P

Last edited by NoobPhotographer; 02-04-2011 at 09:25 AM.
02-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's compatible with a remote, which is probably even better: Pentax Remote Control F 37377 B&H Photo Video

Have you considered one of those at all?
Hey, that looks real swell! I'll look into getting one of those. Thank ya kindly for your help it is very much appreciated :]
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobPhotographer Quote
I'm sorry that the poll is irrelevant to you and probably a lot of other people...
No need to be sorry. I was justing trying to help you understand that there is a difference and so your results may be skewed.

And yes, the remote is a very handy option, especially for tripod work.
02-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used wired remotes on my K200D & K20D. I also have wireless remotes, but as often as I use remotes, I find that the batteries are usually dead - not a problem with my wired remotes.
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I used wired remotes on my K200D & K20D. I also have wireless remotes, but as often as I use remotes, I find that the batteries are usually dead - not a problem with my wired remotes.
The K-x can't use a wired remote.

Unless there is some reason to actually go Remote, you could also try the poor man's trip release. The timer. See page 131 of your manual.

02-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobPhotographer Quote
I have a pentax K-x and am currently searching for a cable release. I read from a random reviewer off amazon that the pentax k-x model is not compilable with any type of cable releases...is this true?
I am looking into getting this one: Amazon.com: Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release - Camera remote control - radio: Electronics

But I'm not sure if I should. Please give me some help! I'm SO lost right now that it's not even funny... well, maybe it is a little funny lol
Fyi: I couldn't respond to your poll because my 2 Pentax DSLRs don't support (wired, or radio wireless) cable shutter-release.

I don't think that Amazon-hosted unit (even ones that support some Pentax, which Adorama has 5 on this page below) could possibly work on K-r/K-x, the camera models have no PC-type aux port linked to the shutter like most other brands do across their range.
Wireless Radio Remote Release - Adorama.com

For info, here's several more types that we K-x/K-r owners luck out on also;
http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.remote%20shutter

I read (might have been here) a few weeks/mths ago some user had cobbled up their own electro-mechanical shutter activator, it was cheap, fairly simple and quite ingenious, IIRC comprising a solenoid operated lever and small receiver all attached and held on in the hot-shoe.
Another type used a mechanical plunger sheathed-wire method (ex old film camera type), attached to manually press the shutter button.
(a search on here, or Google, might uncover something)

Before we proceed further, please note: The K-x/K-r built-in IR Remote ability is definitely no substitute for wired-cable in practice. Although it can and does work within the usual crude limitations of IR (remember, IR != Radio Wireless even), plus the imposed limitation of only having a front mounted IR sensor on the camera body.
There are also important Pentax imposed limitations to take into account, such as IR delay, and that on a K-x remote shutter doesn't necessarily work fully or at all in conjunction with certain other modes/functions. Like HDR, remote Flash.

So; OK for basic use, just don't take it too seriously or have expectations beyond the above.

You can buy the genuine Pentax Remote F handset-control (listed in K-x manual, p291) for the proverbial pound of flesh at good camera outlets, or, can get 3rd party versions that work quite adequate, from eBay or DealExtreme from approx USD3.27 incl shipping.
DealExtreme: $3.27 InfraRed IR Shutter Remote for Pentax/Nikon/Canon/Sony/Minolta/Konica Digital Cameras (1*CR2025)
I use these universals for both my Pentax and Canon cameras.
(Nb; They activate shutter-only on Pentax, per the camera Drive Mode and Custom Menu settings, expect no other fancy features.)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
And yes, the remote is a very handy option, especially for tripod work.
I am using a tripod more frequently (trying to expand my self-imposed limits) and yes, the remote is very handy.
02-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a wired remote often. And always when hooked to a telescope.
02-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sometimes but not too frequent.

Always when using tripod (in combination with 2s timer)
05-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

shutter release cable for Pentax K-R

I too am looking for a shutter release cable for the Pentax k-r. I want to be able to open the shutter and then come back an hour later to see what I got. I am not willing to sit there with the ir remote and hold it open for an hour. Any ideas as what to do??? I just upgraded and figured that the k-r would be able to do it as my k100d super could. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
05-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You're out of luck with regards to the cable release However I think the IR remote will do the trick. Check the functionality of custom menu 3, item 15. The manual is very brief about it (page 90 and 114) and I don't have a K-r.

And no, the K100D super is superior (and that is an understatement) when it comes to certain things; that is why it is called 'super' which stands for superior
05-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #15

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Take a look in the DIY under pentax articles here on the fotum