Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Unregistered User

F Remote Review

So I have been reading about astrophotography lately.

wow beautiful stuff.. not like my shots at all ..lol
Well not yet...

Everywhere you look people are using cable releases for their cameras.
I can not report on them or compare to the f remote as I have literally had an slr ( k-X ) for about three weeks; but I just wanted to throw it out there that I am fairly impressed!

Im not going into specs on the unit but it works very well.
Having said that I am disappointed that you have to shoot it line site and from the front.

It is a bit awkward looking through the finder to focus manually, in 3 ft snow, on stars at 20 below and then reaching past the tripod and pointing the thing at the receiver.

I know I could set up my shot walk away and take it but Im silly I guess.
Plus new to the hobby, I was changing the setting every time to experiment with ISO shutter speed and what not.

I do like that the response when registered works instantly.

I wish I could have it auto-focus like the camera with the semi push of the button but its great for photos where I can jump in!

1 - 5, 1 being low its a 5 ... just don’t be like me and finagle yourself into an awkward spot.

My best all..

Jesse

02-04-2011, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jesse Dumonceau Quote
I wish I could have it auto-focus like the camera with the semi push of the button

I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the K-x that makes the camera autofocus when you hit the remote button.
02-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Custom Menu 2 - Item 11. AF with Remote Control

By default it is set to 1 - Off. Set it to 2 - On.
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

On my K-20D, when I push on the remote, the camera then auto focus and when it gets thing in focus, it trips the shutter .

02-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Unregistered User

I will look into it now that you wrote about the feature.. I hadn't because the sales guy when I asked said it didn't. I think he was too preoccupied to care. Just wanted the money ...lol.

Thanks for your reply!

My Best

Jesse
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Unregistered User

Hey Im so much more impressed!

The remote can auto focus. You ALL Rock!

I love the camera; I hope nobody took the review as a slam.
I researched and found this to be best camera for the money.
I have been more than satisfied with the results.
I paid 40 for the remote, but getting it online shipping would have put it close anyways

Thanks again all

By Best,

Jesse
02-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The remote does not focus the camera, actually it just like a push of your finger on the shutter button, and then the camera has to get thing in focus before tripping the shutter (if there is nothing in focus, the shutter will not trip) .

02-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Unregistered User

Yeah im playing with it now and it seems to be that way.
I need this remote as well to do od shots on a mono pod for real-estate photography.
I thought I would hold it up high on the mono pod and try to tilt the head down for some interesting shots that get the whole room... or at least as much as I can?

Thank you for your post!

My Best...

Jesse
02-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remote F

I have a Remote Control F to use with my K-X.

Works great!!

You go into the menu to allow auto-focus with remote. You can also set the bulb

setting to operate in two ways:

1. As long as you hold the button on the remote down, the shutter will stay open.

2. Press once to activate and then again to close.

You can also set the remote to operate on a 3 second delay from first press of the

button.

I can't wait to try some bulb shots when it warms up.

$19.95 and free shipping at Adorama. They even have it in stock. B & H didn't have any.