Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thinking of split screen for my K7

Just wondering if there will be any issues with the split screen for metering / focus confirmation. I use center for both 90% of the time. I've been thinking of the one that Jinfinance offers on E-Bay. Are his good after install, or will I likely need shims? Or does that just vary from camera to camera?

02-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

I would recomand you focussingscreen.com, iv'e ordered 2 from them in the last year and i'm very pleased
02-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have jinfinance dual-diagonal split screens for both K20D and K-5/K-7. The K20D seemed perfect from the start but the K-5/K-7 screen (in a K-5) needed shimming work, all on my own, to get the focus right on. For the price it seems a great way to get one's feet wet with split screens on the new cams. My plan to step up to KatzEye was put on hold because the jinfinance were good enough. I have no experience with focussingscreen.com
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just wondering if there will be any issues with the split screen for metering / focus confirmation. I use center for both 90% of the time. I've been thinking of the one that Jinfinance offers on E-Bay. Are his good after install, or will I likely need shims? Or does that just vary from camera to camera?
Yep, there will be an issue. you will no longer be able to use "spot metering", at least that was the case with both my K10 and K20. Spot metering apparently is done through the center of the split focus area and it makes a drastic change to what your camera will be metering. So that effectively disables spot metering for your camera until you reinstall the original focus screen. Your choice :-( spot metering or split screen.

I hope to get getting a K5 at some point, and i was just mulling over whether i was going to get the split focusing screen for it. I have one long tele manual lens which was my primary motivation for the focusing screen - but i no longer use that long lens and I think i'll try to live without it or just have the one on my K20 which i'm keeping. BTW, i have the katzeye bright focus screen, wonderful, but expensive.

best wishes,

02-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I've got the Katzeye in my *istD and never had any trouble, but wasn't sure if K7 was the same. I used spot metering on the *istD and never noticed any issues. I guess the K7 is different. I don't suppose the screens are the same are they? (I doubt it)
02-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for all the responses. I've got the Katzeye in my *istD and never had any trouble, but wasn't sure if K7 was the same. I used spot metering on the *istD and never noticed any issues. I guess the K7 is different. I don't suppose the screens are the same are they? (I doubt it)
I believe I read something on the Katzeye site about spot-metering only being affected with some lenses, or some apertures. I figured mapping this out on my own was not worth the effort, and unreliable metering is not really metering at all. Also, I never really made friends with spot-metering. They probably have the same article still.

The K-7 and K-5 use a different screen because of the 100% viewfinder, so the physical size is different.
02-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The K-7 and K-5 use a different screen because of the 100% viewfinder, so the physical size is different.
No, I am pretty sure the K-7 and K-5 screens are exactly the same. I have that in writing from asking both jinfinance and the KatzEyeOptics web page indicates the same screen for both.
02-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
No, I am pretty sure the K-7 and K-5 screens are exactly the same. I have that in writing from asking both jinfinance and the KatzEyeOptics web page indicates the same screen for both.
Yes, you're right. I phrased my post poorly. Responding to this:

What I meant was the K-7 and K-5 screens are different from the *ist D screens. I blame my wife, who has me proofreading a document with sentences like "Post-synaptically, α7*nachRs have been shown to lie in or near the N-methyl D-aspartate receptor postsynaptic density, where they may act as effectors in activation of “silent” synapses."

02-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I blame my wife, who has me proofreading a document with sentences like "Post-synaptically, α7*nachRs have been shown to lie in or near the N-methyl D-aspartate receptor postsynaptic density, where they may act as effectors in activation of “silent” synapses."
Wow! And I thought I communicated with my wife in a foreign language.....

Like Mama always said when we children bemoaned our lot in life, "There's always somebody worse off."
02-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Wow! And I thought I communicated with my wife in a foreign language.....

Like Mama always said when we children bemoaned our lot in life, "There's always somebody worse off."
Well, scientific journals at least use the English grammatical system.
02-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, you're right. I phrased my post poorly. Responding to this:

What I meant was the K-7 and K-5 screens are different from the *ist D screens. I blame my wife, who has me proofreading a document with sentences like "Post-synaptically, α7*nachRs have been shown to lie in or near the N-methyl D-aspartate receptor postsynaptic density, where they may act as effectors in activation of “silent” synapses."
Oh yes. It makes complete sense when I start reading (again) from the top and dont lose track of the OPs question. Sorry about the proofing you do, DAMN those receptors anyway!
02-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Here is a new post where a K5 owner is reporting underexposure with a katzeye and spot metering. Apparently the K5 and K7 have the same screens, so if you go that way, be prepared not to use spot metering. Its a trade off of course.