Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
New Pentax K-x dust? Dead Pixel? HELP!

Hello,
I just purchased my Pentax K-X recently online (got it in this Tueday). I'm still new to dslrs so I thought I'd try taking photos with longer shutter speeds. After shooting a few photos I realized there was a black spot in my picture that seemed to be in the same spot every time. Me being the clean freak that I am went into panic mode and tried the dust removal and cleaned the lens (with the appropriated tools). Here is some images of the spot(s). The thing I don't understand is that it's visible when I have it at a certain shutter speed and it disappears in bright light. PLEASE HELP explaining to me what I should do and if there's a fix to this. I would really like to save myself the trouble of shipping it back.

Attached Images
 
02-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 300
QuoteOriginally posted by Treefrog Quote
Hello,
I just purchased my Pentax K-X recently online (got it in this Tueday). I'm still new to dslrs so I thought I'd try taking photos with longer shutter speeds. After shooting a few photos I realized there was a black spot in my picture that seemed to be in the same spot every time. Me being the clean freak that I am went into panic mode and tried the dust removal and cleaned the lens (with the appropriated tools). Here is some images of the spot(s). The thing I don't understand is that it's visible when I have it at a certain shutter speed and it disappears in bright light. PLEASE HELP explaining to me what I should do and if there's a fix to this. I would really like to save myself the trouble of shipping it back.
Gudday mate

Got a k-x meself and had a similar problem. Try pixel mapping, you'll find instructions in the manual (page 259?) under Correcting defective pixels... in Changing Additional Settings. That did the trick for me.

Cheers Paddy
02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Original Poster
I apologize for not mentioning that I tried the pixel mapping as well and it didn't help. Is it possible for it to be dust on the image sensor? I just have a hard time believing it considering I've barely used it and had it under a week.
02-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,756
The K-x gets dust on the sensor all the time. Get yourself a Rocket Blower and try to keep the front of the camera pointed down when changing lenses.

02-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-x gets dust on the sensor all the time. Get yourself a Rocket Blower and try to keep the front of the camera pointed down when changing lenses.
Thing is, I never switched lenses or took the kit lens off till today (after seeing the spots). So a rocket blower should do the trick or should I try getting a replacement?
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,756
I would try a Rocket Blower, or equivalent, first. You're going to need one anyway.
02-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
It's dust and could have come from the factory that way. It isn't that unusual, even if you've never removed the lens. Neither the lens or the camera are sealed (assuming kit lens here) and dust can get sucked into the lens body just by zooming in and out. Do as suggested and get a blower. This isn't the first or last dust you'll see.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

02-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's dust and could have come from the factory that way. It isn't that unusual, even if you've never removed the lens. Neither the lens or the camera are sealed (assuming kit lens here) and dust can get sucked into the lens body just by zooming in and out. Do as suggested and get a blower. This isn't the first or last dust you'll see.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109


I'll have to look into purchasing a blower and trying it out. Thank you for that tip, I really appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, is it normal for the dust speck to be more noticeable at slower shutter speeds and disappear in bright light? Like I stated before, I'm new to dslrs.

02-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Treefrog Quote
I'll have to look into purchasing a blower and trying it out. Thank you for that tip, I really appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, is it normal for the dust speck to be more noticeable at slower shutter speeds and disappear in bright light? Like I stated before, I'm new to dslrs.
Read the article I linked for you. Basically, the more stopped down your lens is (f16,f22, etc), the more likely you will be to see the dust. Since the dust is on the sensor screen, I've never quite understood why that is but it is. The only thing I can think of is the wider apertures basically drown out the dust making it less evident. Slow shutter speeds May make it more prevalent looking because Dust is not prone to camera shake. That is, when the camera moves with respect to your photo, so too does the dust. There of course will be some circumstances where you don't see it at all but in my experience, it doesn't just go away. It may Move slightly from photo to photo but as you've discovered, even that doesn't happen often.

Try running the dust shaker several times, checking in between each and see if it moves or disappears. If it Moves, the blower will definitely take care of it. It's a sad simple fact of dSLR life that no matter how careful we are, we must learn to deal with this minor inconvenience.

02-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,776
It will not be replaced for those isolated specks. Most manufacturer's have some minimum number of separate pixels or a clump of 3.
02-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
looks like dust to me..
02-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It will not be replaced for those isolated specks. Most manufacturer's have some minimum number of separate pixels or a clump of 3.
Being new to dslrs, I didn't know that the sensor would come dusty out of the box. I'm used to new items that I purchase to be in perfect condition so this is a first for me. I'm going to order the rocket blaster but should that be enough? I'm reading articles and watching videos that state that brushes and such are needed to get a good cleaning and the rocket blaster is just the first step in the cleaning process.
02-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
Get the blower first and then worry about touch the sensor solutions when it's needed. The sensors are getting better and better at not holding dust of this type so unless you spit on the sensor, let rain get in there, it gets infested with sticky pollen, etc, you should be good to go with the blower.

02-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
Looks like dust to me. Before you assume the worst you have to rule out the simple. Start with a rocket blower and go from there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dust, k-x, pentax, pentax help, pentax k-x, photos, shutter, spot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dead pixel on kx mustangjoey Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 01-13-2011 11:36 AM
Dead pixel on the Sensor? zheric Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 01-11-2011 10:14 AM
New Pentax K7 - Dead pixel in video dutch Video and Pentax HDSLRs 3 03-16-2010 03:47 PM
What counts as a dead pixel? KansasHorizons.com Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 03-11-2010 01:27 PM
Dead Pixel on *istD Zarkon Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 05-24-2009 08:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top