Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #1

Dumb newbie color question

I love my K100D. No fight at all to get shots I like with little to no effort. I enjoy getting the shot far more than spending a ton of time post processing. Well, I don't have the time. This is a dream cam for me.

However, I'm perturbed by how it treats the color red. You will be able to tell I'm just a happy consumer hobbyist when I state that I do not want to give up my bright mode for natural. I don't see all that well & I like deeply saturated color. Is there some other adjustment I can make in the menu system to tone down the red? I'm afraid if I jerk the saturation down a notch, it'll effect every other color.

This is do-nothing shot, but would you mind looking at the red? Is it just me or does it seem that the red gets even more garish as your eyes travel left to right??

Thanks in advance.

12-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Izzy,

Everything is too saturated here, not just the reds. Have you even tried the natural setting? Otherwise the reds can easily be toned down in PP (Elements, etc.).

Dan
12-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Natural for me

I think it is way oversaturated. Give natural a try. If you want to get the best and just what you want, you should use RAW and process them. Takes more time, but it is almost always well worth it.
12-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Dan,

Everything isn't "too saturated" if your vision is rather poor. I did actually try the natural setting on one shoot, and didn't care for it. I had to use software to pop it back. It really doesn't bother me if this need to see deep color always keeps me in the "bad photog" category. It's just what I need to see. to be happy with what I shoot. Make any sense at all??

I'll play with the red curve a little in software. Thanks for the tip. I had hoped one of the slider controls might affect red.

12-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
So is this one way too saturated too? If it is, I'll just crawl back in my hole where I probably belong. I think this one is fine. If it's not, then my eyes are really affecting what I see to a larger degree than I even realized to start with.

Thank you everyone/
12-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Even if it is, I like it. It's a cheery photo, and I'm a sucker for snowman iconology. (Otherwise, I hate snow--go figure!)

It certainly isn't as bad as the first.
12-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

HI Izzy

I thought of this idea:

My wife just got the k100 and I don't know that much about it, but I think there are controls to make "custom" settings and save it.
If you can find out the presets of the bright mode, then put them in your own custom setting, and then in the custom settings for saturation, just back it off a bit. Leave everything the same way as bright mode and see how you like it.

If this doesn't work for you, and if you have photoshop 7 or above, I can try to walk you through getting an automatic setting that will tone down your reds for each photo you put in photoshop.

cheers and good luck

randy
12-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
not too red and too red?

QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
So is this one way too saturated too? If it is, I'll just crawl back in my hole where I probably belong. I think this one is fine. If it's not, then my eyes are really affecting what I see to a larger degree than I even realized to start with.

Thank you everyone/
I think the first one may be too read because the light seems to be very strong. The right side of the lady is very bright. That may make the problem with the contrast even worse. Where, the snowman is in more shadows and the reds are not getting blown out. Just my thought.

I like the bright mode for greens the most, but have been leaving it on natural mode lately and seeing how I like that as well.

Jeff

12-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I think you are correct in that the first shot had a more intense lighting whereas this one is in a more even reflected light. The color tones appear to be better in the snowman.
12-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all SO much. Two things finally sunk in last night. I've let the camera spoil me. I had to fight the last cam I used tooth and nail to even get a shot I liked. This camera has just been such a relief to me, I've rolled over and played dead on the obsessive kind of learning I usually do.

I've been having a blast with this "auto scenes" business. Well, no wonderful switching to natural didn't change the outcome. The Pentax doesn't keep those switches in the automatic modes. (bangs head slowly). I'm also going to read up on the custom settings again Randy, but I do believe those are a little different animal than color choices. A couple of different times I've verified which custom options I've picked.

I'm leaving it set on "natural" and will give it a very fair, real test - all the while remembering to shoot in the program mode, AV or TV. I'm not wonderful with manual photography. Doesn't M=miserable?? <grin>

Again. I know I sounded like the village idiot, but I'm so glad I sucked it in to ask about what was bugging me. You guys helped me think more, and differently. I really appreciate it.
12-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Izzy,
I understand your situation, however, I too think this is over saturated overall. Unfortunately, CCD sensors in general are very sensitive to the red channel. When you boost overall saturation, reds tend to blow out first. Especially in strong harsh light. (Your snowman pic is in much softer light. I like that shot, by the way) I know you don't want to do this, but I offer it as a point of comparison. I shoot in raw, in processing I can boost levels by individual color channel. It does make a big difference.

Here is a suggestion for you. It might help. If you do not use picture modes, set the camera to natural setting, then boost the saturation one point at a time, until you are happy with the outcome.

Hope this helps a bit.
-Alan
12-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

The snowman made me smile. Nice image and the lighting is softer. High saturation actually good here.

Your eyes? Your eyes? Hey! My eyes are worse than your eyes.

And, if anyone around heree is the village idiot it's me, get me?

Respectfully, Dan
12-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Another thought, since reds will always be the tricky color (also purple). I am not sure about doing this in Elements since I have not had experience with the last few versions. In Photoshop you can record actions that will retrace a chosen path of adjustments for any photo you need that action run on. You could record an action that reduced only red saturation, leaving the rest of the image the way you want it. Then you could shoot with the camera in the setting that gives you nice saturated shots and probably looks fine most of the time. When you get an image that has the harsh reds simply open it in Photoshop, run the action, resave, and you're done. Easy solution that lets you have your saturated photos.

PS, this is a quicky solution that will not yeild results comparable to shooting raw and using a good raw editor, but I want to offer something other than the usual "shoot raw" response. It is true that shooting raw allows you to make choices you just don't get with jpegs. You can even use a larger color space to recover detail in oversaturated ccd captures. It is an extra step but not all that time consuming once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by davemdsn; 12-10-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Afterthought
12-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
First, I'm sorry Dan. I have claimed the title of village idiot and get to keep it I have a PLAN!!! (Imagine the movie Tremors and Kevin Bacon running toward the cliff).

It's suppose to be nice today. I have this pair of Santa's. The Santa's and I will head out into the sun and I'll shoot them in all the suggested ways. RAW, natural, slow saturation adjustments - everything I can think of. Then I'll look at red in all it's variations. I guess I don't actually want to shoot photos that end up looking like blazing satellites. However, I don't want to post process every darn shot....I'll see what gets the closest - or post a link or something and let you guys tell me which red really looks like red is suppose to look.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the snowman. And everyone who offered up their ideas. Of all the shots I took at the dinner, it was my favorite. Way too many people all moving around. I did get some nice olives, but it just wasn't the same.

You guys are great. I'm feeling so much better today than when I showed my hand yesterday and played "true confession".

Debbie