Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Just a few hopefully simple ones

Hi everyone, im completle new to slr photography so bear with me. I have the K-x Entry level kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses but no hood or filters.

Also no dealers close to me stock pentax products. Will any 52mm filter fit these lenses???

Also the screw thread is on the inside of the lens and from the look of the pics of the filters, the screw thread is on the inside of them too??? Confused!!!

As for the hood, would i need a bayonet fitment, I am going to be buyiny a 100-500 telephoto lens for my wildlife photography and wanted a few filters to hand ready but dont know what fitments to buy...

Any help will be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Sean

02-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These hoods will fit the kit lenses:
Pentax PH-RBA Lens Hood 38741 B&H Photo Video
Pentax PH-RBB52 Lens Hood for 50-200mm Lens 38744 B&H Photo

Combined they'll run you $50, though. Maybe getting them used is a better idea (try Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com)

And yes, any 52mm circular filter should fit them. I wouldn't bother getting a filter, though- just the hoods.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Sean,

Filters do have a negative effect on your pictures, with flare as the most often seen problem.
If you do not need a filter, leave them off. A hood is not just good for avoiding sun light on the lens, it is also a good lens protector.
The bottom line: good filters are very expensive, the cheaper ones kill your image quality, best stick to hoods.

Cheers, Bert
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Sean... Getting hoods in the UK is a bit of a task mate... There are screw in rubber ones... but they tend to vignette (ie: create dark-bits at the corners)... the plastic mount hoods for the kit-lenses are harder to come by but can be obtained from most of the bigger pentax dealers... You're looking 20 each minimum...

I use hoods and Hoya UV filters... The one for my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 was 50 (67mm thread)... They're multi-coated and I can't see anything in terms of image degradation myself... I feel that they're more than worth it in protecting the glass of the lenses... My hoods don't fit on the lenses in the camera bag and I tend not to use them indoors but the UV's stay on at all times, protecting the front of the lens... Your call mate...

02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Take a look here>www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

Just search for Pentax Lens Hoods
02-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

+1 on SRS... I got something from them a while back and the service was top notch!
02-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Sean,
As you can see there are lots of opinions on the use of filters. I am less expert than most but can tell you that probably everybody agrees that a decent circular polarizing filter can be a must for outdoor scenery, not so much for wildlife though. Landscapes sometimes REQUIRE neutral density filters to either cut the exposure of sky against a darker land or to cut exposure of the entire frame in order to make the commonly seen long exposure of moving water. A UV or just plain clear protection filter, again a good quality one such as mid-grade Hoya or better, can be needed in a hostile environment such as blowing dirt or heavy mist. I much prefer to wipe a $25 clear filter to remove water and risk a scratch from dirt than to wipe the front glass of my $500 lens. It is a fact that filters, expecially those with poor coatings, can add flare and other issues.

That said, in the days of film before in camera processing of JPGs, filters were used extensivly to emphasize colors or contrast and can be fun to play with to make up your own opinion

So you might consider the folowing filters as still very usefull in the DSLR age as there is yet no in-camera software to do what these do...at least not in the K-5.

- Polarizer
- Clear protection from blowing dirt and water
- Neutral density, both graduated and solid
- Star point filters (may have a more technically correct name than I call it) for once a year shot of the xmas lights

I think you will find most all outdoor photogs have these or most of them in their kit.
02-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Right now there are several replacement hoods carrying Pentax numbers on ebay for low prices and cheap shipping to the UK. I have not purchased these so I can't say how good they are, but they look like duplicates.

02-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have bought hoods for the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm Pentax lenses from ebay sellers, and they look like and work like the genuine Pentax hoods, even have the little window for use with a polarizing filter. Search ebay for - Pentax 18-55mm lens hood -, look at the pictures and get the bayonet type.
02-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Seanex Quote
Also the screw thread is on the inside of the lens and from the look of the pics of the filters, the screw thread is on the inside of them too??? Confused!!!

Filters have two threads. An outer one that fits on the lens and an inner one to fit another filter so you can stack them (or screw lenshood on)
02-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Right now there are several replacement hoods carrying Pentax numbers on ebay for low prices and cheap shipping to the UK. I have not purchased these so I can't say how good they are, but they look like duplicates.
And some eBay guys have already thought of that always losing the lens cap problem too, but beware, this hood doesn't look to be a clone of the genuine Pentax one so could best be avoided.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/52mm-Flower-Lens-Hood-Cap-Pentax-K2000-K200D-K-x-/290...item43a11fcc59

To the O.P: Seek out the ones with the genuine part numbers instead.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-07-2011 at 05:53 AM.
02-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The biggest thing that kills my image quality is my hand on the shutter. If I take the right thing at the right time with the right exposure then I get a winner, UV filter or no UV filter. I have always had a UV filter on the front of the lens, I had done quite a bit of camera club and have never, ever had a judge suggest that I might have a problem caused by the filter. Bad composition yes, bad choice of subject yes, presentation not so wonderful yes, but things like lens flare and lack of sharpness - no. (I've not been picked up for oversharpening either)

As to other filters, I use Cokin-style ND filters and circular polariser. The one set of filters fits all lenses - if the filter ring is a different size I would only a new adapter ring which is cheap, and I've had good results stacking them to get very slow shutter speeds. I gather you can get color balance problems, but I'm shooting RAW and correcting that later so it's not an issue for me. I've also not had vignetting problems but I'm not using anything wider than the kit lens that you also are using.

My ND filters are not graduated - some people swear by graduated NDs, I swear at them so I don't use them. Photography is meant to be a pleasure not a penance.

BTW where the lens hood fits isn't where the filter fits, and it's a coarse bayonet fitment not a fine screw thread, hence the difference between round filter threads and hood threads.

And for wildlife photography it's unlikely IMHO you will need any ND filters.
02-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

@glee46

Don't hijack a thread please; makes it confusing as who replies to who (and is in general considered impolite). OP sees a reply, checks and finds out that it's not for his/her question. Same for you, you see a reply, check it and find that it's for the OP's question.

Rather start your own thread.
02-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let me zoom in on the filters question here.

A lot of people (including me for some lenses) use UV filters as a protective measure for their glass.
However, filters can be bad for IQ.

Please read the following article / filter review: UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
In my opinion it gives a good understanding of the impact that not so good filters can have on your photos.

Hope it helps you decide better,

- Bert

Overall results:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article-UV_filters_test_Description_of_the_resu...d_summary.html

Last edited by bymy141; 02-07-2011 at 09:20 AM.
02-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks very much everyone for getting back so fact. I have decided on a circular polariser, gradual sunset and gradual blue.

I am interested in animal pics, at distance probably so found this lens, wondered if its any good for what im after. Ill write a new post to ask about it

thanks