Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

A potential problem with pre-focusing using the half-press is that it's easy to let up for just a fraction of a second and have the lens refocus, so you might be careful to make sure that's not what's happening.

Paul

02-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
A potential problem with pre-focusing using the half-press is that it's easy to let up for just a fraction of a second and have the lens refocus, so you might be careful to make sure that's not what's happening.

Paul
Thanks, Paul, prabably that`s my problem. I`ll try all suggestions soon.
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hi,

this is an example. I don`t understand what is wrong there, I was trying to focus on person, but she looks dull, actually image is hazy. ISO 400; Shutter 1/60, f/13.
Thanks for any advices.

Inga
Attached Images

02-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's lens flare. Do you have a haze filter screwed on? Are you using a lens hood?
It's very hard to get both sky and earth exposed properly in mid day light, even if it's cloudy. There just isn't enough dynamic range in the camera to do it. Graduated neutral density filters or HDR is the standard answer. Also, fill flash can bring your subject up enough to darken the sky. Taking landscape pictures at sunrise or sunset is another good way of getting some sky in your photo.

I would start by getting used to Av mode. Set your aperture somewhere around f/8-f/11 and go take some more pictures. Careful to keep the sun off your front element. Maybe try a few without the filter.

Why did you chose f/13 and 1/60 for this shot?

02-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #20

Original Poster
Hi, Gashog,

I don`t use any filters and I don`t have lens hood
So Is I understand in such light conditions I can`t expect a lot without using some filter + photoshop.
I`m not sure why I chose that settings but i can imagine that I used Tv with speed 1/60 and aperture was set by camera....

Ok, next time I`ll try f/8-f/11, as other guys also suggested in this thread.

Thanks
02-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Lens hoods are not too expensive unless you buy a genuine Pentax one, and they can make a huge difference.

IMHO the image is dull because you have got a lot of bright sky and dark shadows so the dynamic range is too much for the camera - here you have the sky acceptably exposed but the buildings, and Inge, are all underexposed so lack contrast.

If you framed the shot without the sky you would get a far punchier result. Equally if you used the other side of the street where presumably the sun was shining on the buildings you would also get a punchier result.

When you look with your eye you are looking at a fairly small area, and the eye and brain are incredibly good at seeing what you want to see. The camera is brutal in seeing what it sees, learning to see like a camera is part of the process of taking better pictures.