Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Defective front shutterspeed wheel

I have had my K-7 for 6 months now bought on eBay from th US. Have been very happy with it but over the last couple of months the from shutter wheel has slowly started to become dis-functional in the scrolling back function for everything.
This is quite an importent function although ways around using it they slow my shooting of football/Wildlife down considerably.

My questions are:

a) is it a common defect?

b) is an expensive one to repair. (Sending it to Pentax/Hamburg)

Thanks
Shaken007

02-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

You might consider spraying electronic contact cleaner in the opening, then "moving" the wheel back and forth. Of course, if its still in Warranty, I'd let Pentax deal with it.

Good luck
02-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Is it safe to assume that you've switched the function of the dial to the rear dial to make Sure it's the dial? I've always put shutter speed on the rear dial in any mode where it's controllable. Aperture is on the rear dial in Av mode. In both Av and Tv, ISO is on the front dial (on my cameras). That doesn't solve your problem, I know. Reports of sometimes failing dials are not uncommon around here. A few will get brave, remove the camera top, and clean the encoder on the dials. Others will work around as suggested above, and others will send it in. I've never had the experience myself.

If you bought the camera New in the US from an authorized dealer, it is probably under warranty. I don't know how you would be covered where you are with it. If you bought it used, the cost is yours to pay. I don't know what that cost is or the time to repair.

02-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks all. tried the different edial functions and they have helped for the short term. Need to look at repair tho for teh front dial. Does 140€ sound too much. Got a quote from a reputable camera repair shop here in Vienna. As I bought mine on ebay.
G.

02-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

What would it cost you to replace the camera? As I see it, unless you want to try it yourself, paying to have it done or replacing the camera are the options (I don't know what a euro translates to).

02-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaken007 Quote
Thanks all. tried the different edial functions and they have helped for the short term. Need to look at repair tho for teh front dial. Does 140 sound too much. Got a quote from a reputable camera repair shop here in Vienna. As I bought mine on ebay.
G.
140 euros seems a bit high, but if it's a reputable place, local and they guarantee their work for at least 6 mos it would be worth it to me. Saves you the hassle of packing and shipping it out with the attendant costs. Besides if they don't fix it correctly the first time, they are there to yell at. Ask them if the 140 includes a complete cleaning of the camera.

NaCl(convenience is worth something)H2O