Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cokin-style ND filters

I have the following:
Pentax18-55 Kit
Pentax SMC M 50 1:1.4
Pentax 55-300mm
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

I'm looking for the Cokin-Style filters. The adapter which goes around the lens, and a square filter drops into it covering the lens.

Is there a universal adapter to fit these?

Where in the USA can one purchase them?

Are there other brands?

02-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

You generally will need the Cokin 'P" system size for most Pentax lenses (this fits lenses up to 83mm). Their "A" system is smaller and will only fit lenses up to 67mm. While that may work for your present lenses you may get a DA* lens (generally 77mm) which is why you will need the "P"system.

These can be purchased at a lot of places - my local photo store carries them. However, both B&H and Adorama carry them.

Read more about them at Welcome to COKIN.COM
02-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Avoid the cheap chinese knockoffs, they introduce a nasty colour cast.
The X-pro cokin will cover even larger lens mounts, I have the p system and the DA 14 can vignette a bit, So can my Sigma 24-70 (82mm) at the wide end. I've owned the P system for a long while and it's great. there are better (glass) square nd filters out there but they will cost a bomb (Lee), the Cokin is a good compromise

there is a good thread discussing Cokin below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/130762-co...-system-4.html
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Not to be rude but the a-series only goes to 62mm.

02-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

You don't really just want the universal adapter that goes around the barrel, because depending on the zoom, it might rotate as you zoom in and out.

Buy the eBay knock-off holder, rings and hood modules for dirt cheap, and just buy the genuine Cokin filters via elsewhere.

My clone Cokin system, filters aside, cost me like 40 bucks total, and I have two holders, 10 rings, and 5 hood modules.

I also have the universal adapter which I'll use once in a blue moon when I don't want to pack heavy and mess with the different rings. It's just a little weird having to turn the set screws on them.
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Not to be rude but the a-series only goes to 62mm.
Not rude at all. I mis-read the info from Cokin.com. Thanks for the correction!