Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying Used Lens from Forum

If I purchase a Tamron 28-75mm lens from the Pentax Marketplace & it's 2 yrs old with a 6yr warranty can it be sent in for repair? What have others done? The seller is the original owner so if I send it in under his name can I get it repair if something goes wrong on it.

The other question is, if I do need to get it adjusted what is the ballpark price on having it done.

02-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Typically, Manufacturers warranties are not transferable. I don't know about Tamron but I believe that to be the case with them as well. When buying Any used item, unless it is coming from a dealer with some sort of secondary warranty (Mack, Square Trade, etc) you should probably figure on it being As Is. That said, with any lens of this type, I would be looking at past history with it. That is, is it well known for having problems (like the DA*16-50)?

Buying used lenses is a great way to go and fill gaps in the want/need list IMO. In making your decision though, weigh the potential (Again, Potential) loss from paying for a repair against the cost of a new one with your Own 6 year warranty (in this case). If the seller is only offering a relatively few dollars off of the cost of a new one, buy the new one.

02-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
If I purchase a Tamron 28-75mm lens from the Pentax Marketplace & it's 2 yrs old with a 6yr warranty can it be sent in for repair? What have others done? The seller is the original owner so if I send it in under his name can I get it repair if something goes wrong on it.

The other question is, if I do need to get it adjusted what is the ballpark price on having it done.
If you have an agreement with the seller, you can ship it back them and have them send it in. Or, send you a copy of the invoice and you can have it repaired in their name.

The address on the original invoice means little and long as the name is correct.

So.........
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input and advice..

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
If you have an agreement with the seller, you can ship it back them and have them send it in. Or, send you a copy of the invoice and you can have it repaired in their name.

The address on the original invoice means little and long as the name is correct.

So.........
Thanks for the input and advice.. I saw some answers after doing a Google and it left me without a clear answer. Felt that this group has a much better insight into this Marketplace and the sellers and buyers.