Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 22
Lens Hoods for Pentax-M 50mm f1.4

Which aftermarket lens hoods do you prefer for the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1:1.4

The 3 in 1 foldable rubber hoods?

49mm Rubber Collapsible Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony - eBay (item 270639537835 end time Feb-20-11 19:56:12 PST)

or

the tulip shaped versions
Camera Lens Hood 49mm Petal Flower for Nikon Canon Sony - eBay (item 300505583421 end time Feb-13-11 19:54:06 PST)

Would the crop factor on a DSLR affect the choice. Given the effective focal length is 75mm on a DSLR should I be looking at a lens hood suitable for a lens in that range?

Thanks for your suggestions

02-08-2011, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,395
actually neither, and yes the crop factor does impact the selection of a lens hood because the field of view is narrowed.

If you want to get an optimum hood, do a search on either the forum, or on the internet for a file called Hoodcalc.

I am not sure now where you can download it, as I got it from a site in Korea as ot was no longer available on the creater's site.

this program gives you all th einouts necessary to get the optimum lens hood for any lens, providing you know what you are doing.

it calculates the hood length based upon the hood diameter, the lens objective diameter, (i.e. the actual glass diameter at the front of the lens), the sensor size, and lens focal length.

You need to be careful however as this is the length of the hood from the centerline of the front element, not the front of the lens. The two are different.

In general, I find the series of B&W Hoods (made in germany) are quite good. B&H carries some of them
02-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,722
I have been thinking of that same thing! Thank you for info!
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,196
"Lens hood" for my FA-50:



02-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,041
I don't have the M version of the 50mm, f/1.4, but I have the Super-Takumar version of it, the Super-Takumar 55mm, f/1.8 and the SMC-A 50mm, f/2. None of these has internal focusing. Therefore the front of the lens barrel rotates as you focus.

For that reason, I don't think that you can use the petal shaped lens hoods on that lens. AFAIK, the petal hoods can only be used on lenses with internal focusing, since the front lens barrel does not rotate.
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
the Super-Takumar 55mm, f/1.8 and the SMC-A 50mm, f/2. .... the front of the lens barrel rotates as you focus.
Please verify this "fact."
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,395
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't have the M version of the 50mm, f/1.4, but I have the Super-Takumar version of it, the Super-Takumar 55mm, f/1.8 and the SMC-A 50mm, f/2. None of these has internal focusing. Therefore the front of the lens barrel rotates as you focus.

For that reason, I don't think that you can use the petal shaped lens hoods on that lens. AFAIK, the petal hoods can only be used on lenses with internal focusing, since the front lens barrel does not rotate.
the front barrel of the Tak's does not rotate either, and petal hoods could be used but petal hoods are generally used on zooms, and designed to the shortest focal length.
02-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,610
Hi Jersey m and welcome to the forums. I carry/store my lenses in fabric pouches like these. For the lenses that don't have a backwards storing bayonet mount hood, I generally use a simple collapsable rubber hood. For a 50m lens I use a "normal" hood like this one they are inexpensive, work well and collapse down so that I don't have to remove it when I put it back in it's case. An added benefit to a rubber hood is that if you are shooting thru glass you can put the hood directly on the glass to eliminate reflections.

NaCl( hoods are Good Things)H2O


Last edited by NaClH2O; 02-08-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: punctuation
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
actually neither, and yes the crop factor does impact the selection of a lens hood because the field of view is narrowed.

If you want to get an optimum hood, do a search on either the forum, or on the internet for a file called Hoodcalc.

I am not sure now where you can download it, as I got it from a site in Korea as ot was no longer available on the creater's site.

this program gives you all th einouts necessary to get the optimum lens hood for any lens, providing you know what you are doing.

it calculates the hood length based upon the hood diameter, the lens objective diameter, (i.e. the actual glass diameter at the front of the lens), the sensor size, and lens focal length.

You need to be careful however as this is the length of the hood from the centerline of the front element, not the front of the lens. The two are different.

In general, I find the series of B&W Hoods (made in germany) are quite good. B&H carries some of them

Thanks. I will look for this program. I have had B+W hoods before (though it was the wrong one for the wrong lens )
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the front barrel of the Tak's does not rotate either, and petal hoods could be used but petal hoods are generally used on zooms, and designed to the shortest focal length.
Pentax M 50mm f1:1.14 does not rotate either
03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,005
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Jersey m and welcome to the forums. I carry/store my lenses in fabric pouches like these. For the lenses that don't have a backwards storing bayonet mount hood, I generally use a simple collapsable rubber hood. For a 50m lens I use a "normal" hood like this one they are inexpensive, work well and collapse down so that I don't have to remove it when I put it back in it's case. An added benefit to a rubber hood is that if you are shooting thru glass you can put the hood directly on the glass to eliminate reflections.

NaCl( hoods are Good Things)H2O
I think this hood is too short on APS-C for 50mm lens.
03-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,146
I've used SOldBear's technique with great success on both 50mm and a 43mm lens. 49--> 37mm stop down ring, then 37-->33.5mm, then a fuji film cap. Shields light, is tiny, and protects the lens when capped, too.
03-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
49--> 37mm stop down ring, then 37-->33.5mm, then a fuji film cap.
You mean 49--> 37mm stop down ring, then 37-->30.5mm?

30.5mm is the size of the DA Ltd. 40mm hood, which fits a Fujifilm cap. The coolest 30.5mm cap is one from a Pentax 110 lens (the rightmost one in this photo):



I actually use a 49-28mm step-down ring for the FA50 in my post above.
03-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,146
Right, 30.5mm. Sorry to anyone I mixed up! Does that hood work on the DA21? I thought they started to vignette at about 35mm.

Also, do you get a little dust off the Fuji film caps? I can't see that it is causing any problems, but still I'd rather not have it around my lenses.
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Does that hood work on the DA21? I thought they started to vignette at about 35mm.
Yes, it does. But the rings, particularly the 49-37, have to be thin. The 49-37 ring I use is Sonia. It's the only one thin enough for not vignetting. If it were only 0.5mm thicker, it wouldn't work.

I'm not sure about "they started to vignette at about 35mm." I used a 49-28mm for my SMC-F 28mm (the one attached to the camera):



QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Also, do you get a little dust off the Fuji film caps? I can't see that it is causing any problems, but still I'd rather not have it around my lenses.
Yes, the white dust. I don't use the Fujifilm caps any more. I'm now using the 30mm lens caps bought from FleaBay, about $1 a piece.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, hood, hoods, item, lens, lens hoods, pentax help, pentax-m 50mm, photography, pst, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Genuine Pentax Lens Hoods Nomenclature Vranx Pentax Lens Articles 4 01-15-2014 03:45 PM
Pentax lens hoods lescatalpas Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 34 06-23-2010 04:10 AM
help me on Pentax lens hoods, please yyyzzz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 01-27-2010 02:13 AM
Lens Hoods - FA 35mm and M 50mm 1.4 k100d Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-31-2008 09:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top