Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Battery depleted

I have a Pentax K100D DSLR which I've had from new.

It has developed a fault which I hope someone might be able to shed some light on or has had a similar fault to mine.
When I have only taken 2/3 shots the 'Battery Deleted' wording shows up on the screen and I can't take anymore pictures.

I have tried new 2600Ni-MH batteries to no avail.

Can anyone offer any advise? Or is it off to the repairers who want just under £100 minimum without even looking at the camera!!!

Thanks,
k

02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kallista Quote
I have a Pentax K100D DSLR which I've had from new.

It has developed a fault which I hope someone might be able to shed some light on or has had a similar fault to mine.
When I have only taken 2/3 shots the 'Battery Deleted' wording shows up on the screen and I can't take anymore pictures.

I have tried new 2600Ni-MH batteries to no avail.

Can anyone offer any advise? Or is it off to the repairers who want just under £100 minimum without even looking at the camera!!!

Thanks,
k
Have you tried energizer lithium ultimate yet? They have always been the best battery for electronics. What firmware are you using?
02-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you have the lest firmware? I know on the K-x was having a problem like that
02-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We're talking AA batteries right?

Well it sound like you batteries are dead, and your new 2600 batteries are not suitable for a DSLR.

There are a gazzillion threads and posts on this topic and they all, I mean ALL, boil down to buying Sanyo AA Eneloops if you want rechargables, or Energiser Ultimate Lithiums if not.

02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go with Twitch on this one - definitely get some Eneloops. But before you do that, grap a set of AA batteries from somewhere in the house that you know are working (torch, radio, shaver) and try them. If you still get the same message then obviously there's a deeper problem.
Hang onto that K100DS. I recently traded mine in for a K7 and I really miss it - it's a fine camera.
02-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's a fairly common issue on the older DL's and DS's models. As suggested, try some eneloops......if I recall correctly, some folks have had success with those. Or maybe try CRV3....if your camera accepts those...

---------- Post added 02-10-11 at 05:05 PM ----------

Hey "Wombat"...your avatar, is that the hairy nosed Wombat or naked nosed?? Seriously....I'm curious.

thanks
02-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
[/COLOR]Hey "Wombat"...your avatar, is that the hairy nosed Wombat or naked nosed?? Seriously....I'm curious.

thanks
G'day, mate. I haven't come across a naked nosed. The three species in Australia are the Common, Northern hairy nosed and Southern hairy nosed. My avatar shows a Southern. I love wombats and used to regularly visit a conservation park which had a wombat research centre, so I got to know the sturdy little critters quite well. They're very sociable and quite amiable, although can turn into nasty ankle-biters if you get too close. You wouldn't want one in your back yard, either - they can just about out-dig a front-end loader and your lawn wouldn't last five minutes!
I've got a half-decent photo somewhere. If I find it I'll send it to you.

02-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Similar Situation here

I have a Pentax K100D-Super, which is 99% the same camera as Kallista. I have similar problems.

1. My camera has some sort of very minor short-circuit, as it will munch through a set of full-charged AA batteries in about four days, turned off, sitting in my camera bag. I spent $12 (!!) on a set of Energizer Lithium batteries, and those met a similar fate. The NiMH batteries do all right in my electric toothbrush, so it's the Pentax that drains them. I make a point of removing the batteries after I am done using the camera. Often, the clock and date reset due to lack of power.

2. I use AA rechargables, both name-brand and eBay-mystery, and those get me about 100 shots or so, freshly charged. I do a lot of low-light shooting, with Shake Reduction on, ISO 800-1600, and exposures of 1/30 second or so. All those things drain the battery, but on the other hand, I'm not using flash or auto-focus. I've come to accept that I need to take 3 sets of NiMH rechargeables when I go out shooting. Often I leave behind a lens or two because the batteries take up so much space.

I'll look into eneloops, and I'm curious about twitch's comment that 2600mAh batteries are unsuitable for a DSLR.

Still, it's a great camera, and when I get the money, I'll probably pay to have the battery-drain issue checked out by a technician.
02-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote

I'll look into eneloops, and I'm curious about twitch's comment that 2600mAh batteries are unsuitable for a DSLR.
The race for high mAh is a race to the bottom, with higher mAh meaning worse charge retention and higher internal resistance leading to an inability to maintain voltage under load.

Eneloops have only 2000 mAh but are able to retain their charge for months, and able to maintain voltage as they get depleted.
02-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, twitch! No wonder my eBay mystery 2600mAh batteries haven't been a noticeable upgrade to my older 2000mAh.

Eneloops it is, then. My thanks.