Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Snow boarding this weekend!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I do not have time to figure this out by Sat. thought I would ask advice. On Sat. my town is having a snow boarding event. It goes from 3pm-8pm. So I will have both day and night shots. Any advice on what settings to shot at in the daylight, than at night? I imagine I should use my 55-300 lens?

I am very new to this try not to get very technical. Thanks very much to anyone that can help.

02-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxKX-2011 Quote
Hello,

I do not have time to figure this out by Sat. thought I would ask advice. On Sat. my town is having a snow boarding event. It goes from 3pm-8pm. So I will have both day and night shots. Any advice on what settings to shot at in the daylight, than at night? I imagine I should use my 55-300 lens?

I am very new to this try not to get very technical. Thanks very much to anyone that can help.
The 55-300 lens will be good for the daylight shots. As far as settings go that's going to vary with the weather. Just experiment a little. I would recommend shooting raw anytime in snow, it's easy to have exposure problems with snow and you have a chance to fix them with raw.

The night shots have more variables including your camera and how the lights are at the event. Chance are the 55-300 may not cut it. You may need a faster lens, even if you have to go much shorter.

Here's your pre-event homework: if possible you need to to get there on one of these weeknights and check the lighting. Also find out when practices start. and get there. You may get better shots during practice runs, and have better access too. If you have any connections, try to get all area access, maybe offer the event organizers photos for this. Also be ready for snow, make sure you have rain covers for your lenses/camera.

Good luck!
02-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The daylight shots should be relatively easy. My first rule of thumb is to fire off a few test shots to see where your shutter speed should be because I like to set my ISO to either 100 or 200 and aperture at or around F8 (my general daylight settings) and the 55-300 should be perfect for this time of day.

As for night time you do not have many options. If you have a faster lens than the 55-300 then I would go with that. Shoot at the largest aperture you have and do not hesitate to go up to ISO 6400 (assuming by your name you have a Kx). Since its snowboarding I would try and use the fastest shutter speed you can. I have no idea what this speed will be because depending on conditions even at ISO 6400 you might not be able to get faster than 1/100 (I would try to stick around there). So try ISO 6400 with the largest aperture to determine what shutter speed you can get.

Also be sure to check your WB. Snow conditions can play tricks on your camera. Also like BuckEye said, shoot 100% RAW, that way it will give you the most leeway to fine tune your shots if you do not like they way they turn out. Good Luck!

**P.S. This is my 1,000th post. New title and privileges coming.
02-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
...Here's your pre-event homework: if possible you need to to get there on one of these weeknights and check the lighting. Also find out when practices start. and get there. You may get better shots during practice runs, and have better access too. If you have any connections, try to get all area access, maybe offer the event organizers photos for this. Also be ready for snow, make sure you have rain covers for your lenses/camera.

Good luck!
Given the time, all of the lighting is (probably) going to be low-angle and directional. It'll either be a setting sun or artificial lights. (You can tell I've lived in Colorado for too long; I don't even consider the possibility of clouds. ) So consider where the light will come from and how you want it to affect the photos. If the light is at your back, it will help light up the snowboarders. You can get dramatic silhouettes by facing the light and shooting when the boarder comes between you and the light. That is a little more challenging with less light at night. I would not recommend a filter when the light is in front of you, because it will probably flare.

I saw some really cool shots recently with the DA 12-24mm f4 zoom, where the photographer got close to a jump and shot mostly up. But you may not be allowed that close.

02-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ramseybuckeye,
Pre-event homework, I love that, never thought of it and about the practice runs that is a great idea. I will try the raw, never done that.

KxBlaze,
I will try the settings that work for you, I will get it straight in my head now so I won't freak out then. Yes I have a kx. congrats on the 1,000th post.

Just1MoreDave,
Yea, I got to learn all this lighting, I really hate being in kindergarten with this stuff. Guess I will get there though.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I feel much better now.
02-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Wrap up warm and depending how cold, keep spare batteries in an inside pocket ready for use.
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Wrap up warm and depending how cold, keep spare batteries in an inside pocket ready for use.
If its really cold... wear tight underpants and keep the spare batteries in there...

02-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Snow? Filthy nasty stuff. I much prefer warm, sandy beaches with bodies scantily clad (if at all) and tropical refreshments, slack-key guitar or marimba music at the edge of hearing, etc.

[/me looks out window at 1m snow drifts, and shudders]

When cold, keep camera tucked inside parka, only pull it out to shoot. Shoot RAW with AWB and figure that you'll correct WB in PP -- clear skies always lend a blue cast to my shots. As mentioned, in dim light use widest aperture and fast shutter and let the ISO ride up -- noise can be fixed. Underexposure is better than overexposure. And any shot you get is better than any shot you DON'T get. Have fun!
02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. being new to photography and taking action shots with snow. Ouch. I will do my best, don't want to over think the camera and spoil the event. I am bound to get a few half decent shots. That is good enough for a start..one day maybe this camera stuff will become natural.
02-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This isn't going to help you at all probably but it's a cool vid.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXYFq3puIIY[/YT]
02-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The video will not open up. I will jump on YouTube and look it up. For some reason it did not occur to me to go there for snow boarding videos. Thanks a lot.

Gashog, back again while the video loads...can't believe you thought it would not help!! I will be spending a while on the tube tonight, thanks again.

Last edited by PentaxKX-2011; 02-11-2011 at 05:17 PM.
02-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's fstoppers.

Those kids get respect from me. They do some very very good vids.
02-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Update....The event started an hour late and only lasted for an hour cause the top of the ramp lost its snow. That was fine with me cause I was cold. Anyway I got a few shots that I kind of like. Thanks for the help.
02-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

W e l l !!!???
02-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was afraid you would say that. Give me a minute to dig one up and remember I said I was kind of happy with them, cause it was my first ones really. I do not expect anyone that knows anything about photopraphy to feel that way.

My pc is freaking out bad, I have to reboot.