Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
low light tips for k10d?

Hi everyone, I just got asked to take pictures for a church valentine's dance. The lighting in there is going to be pretty slim but I have permission to use flash. I don't have access to a flash gun- just the built in flash. any tips to be able to catch moving people in low light? any thing is appreciated. thanks!

02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Just test your lenses to make sure they don't cast a shadow.

Also don't forget fast lenses.
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A translucent film canister cut to fit over the flash works as a cheap diffuser to make the flash less harsh, but it will reduce the range.

The K10d isn't the greatest at high ISO, so try to avoid underexposure. I often convert my 800 and 1600 ISO images to black and white if graininess and colour noise is a problem.

Pre-focusing in manual for the distance you want to shoot at (say 8-10 feet) and using an intermediate f-stop works well when it is too dark for autofocus and manual focus becomes difficult.
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You might mention what lenses you have available, but I'm guessing there won't be sufficient light to do without the flash. If you'd been considering obtaining an external flash, this might be an opportune time. You don't need an expensive p-ttl or dedicated flash, just one that won't fry your camera's electronics. You'd have more flexibility in terms of diffusing the light, while retaining sufficient output, with an external flash.

Paul

02-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Low available light, no flash, people dancing.... I'd just leave the camera home and enjoy the party.
02-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jay,

I've done a lot of indoor work with my K10D in the past. Here are my 2 cents

The biggest problem is the movement of the dancers!
Slow shutter speeds, small DOF and lack of outfocus capability of the K10D.

You can correct noise and exposure to some limits, you cannot correct out of focus pictures.

Your best options are:

- Get in the front row (most light I assume will be pointed towards the dancers)
- Shoot RAW for maximum correction options in post processing
- Set the camera to 1600 ISO
- Set camera on Av f 4.0 or smaller (higher f numbers that is)
- Shutterspeed as fast as possible (minimum 1/focal length, 50mm: 1/50s etc)
- Underexpose if necessary to maintain shutterspeed, correct exposure later
- If distance is more than 5 meters (which will probably the case) forget the flash.
- Try to move the camera with the movement of the dancers.
- Take many pictures,
- Use manual focus, AF on the K10D in low light is not reliable
- Use a *very* good tool to do the postprocessing (noise reduction, exposure correction) like Lightroom 3

Cheers, Bert