Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Battery Chargers

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I bought my k-x last week, not my first digital camera, but my first DSLR. And, back in the days of film, I was always a Pentax man (ME Super and Super A, with the 40 – 80 and 70 – 210 zooms).

I have spent several hours reading on the site and gained some really useful info, not least that Eneloops are the batteries of choice, but:-

• Do they come in different capacities or all Eneloop AAs the same?
  • I saw in one recent post the suggestion that Imedion 2400 mAh might be better. Does anyone have any comments?

But the real problem at the moment is the charger. I have been reading about chargers for the last two hours, and I am still not sure which one to buy. There was an oldish thread on the subject but several of the chargers mentioned appear not to be available in the UK.

LaCrosse comes up several times as does Maha. Maha have a UK web site from which I can buy, but LaCrosse do not (although Amazon.co.uk do stock some), and the Technoline iCharger (BC900) is also available.

However, when many sites have a range of chargers typically from £20 to £50 how do I choose? I only want to charge 4 AAs at a time, and because they will tend to be either the 4 from the camera or 4 from a flash unit (which I don’t yet have), charging in pairs sounds OK to me.

I would be most grateful if anyone could help, either by pointing me to a recent thread which I have obviously missed, or by making some specific recommendations for chargers that are available in the UK.

02-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I got my Kx I bought this charger and it is really fantastic!

MAHA / POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA / AAA
02-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a La Crosse Model: BC-700 charger that seems to work well with my enloops. I found it now available on Amazon.com for just under $40 USD.

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Kitchen & Dining
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got the BC-900 from somewhere in Canada. It included some AA Eneloops and AAAs, plus pouch. Very flexible charger as you can set individual rates for each cell.

02-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the one I got. Only $20, and it is great. Can charge batteries singly. Indicates charging levels. Indicates when a battery has gone bad. Handles 100-240V so you can use it anywhere you travel (with appropriate adapters). It is also quite compact.
Targus Digital TG-LCD2700 AA/AAA Charger with LCD Display with 4 AA 2500 mAh Batteries
I'm using it with these Rayovac Hybrids (they are like the eneloops that maintain their charge), and I've been completely satisfied. (Getting at least 500 shots with my K-x.) 8 AAs for $20: Rayovac Rechargeable Hybrid NiMH Batteries, AA-size, 4-count Carded Pack (Pack of 2)
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There is a whole website for Enloops:

SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well – that was quick. Thanks to each of you for your replies.

The Maha / Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne is available in the UK at
£50, the La Crosse BC-700 is also available here at £40, and the BC-900 is available at £43 (if this IS the BC-900 you are referring to?)

The Targus Digital TG-LCD2700 appears to be US only, so that isn’t an option.

So – three good chargers there, at not hugely differing prices. Decision time.

Thanks again for the advice.

02-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #8

When I bought my K-X it came with Alkalines, Eneloops and a Sanyo charger, model NC-MONO4B. Bit slow (recommended charge time is 12 hours I think), but the cells are great and an overnight charge is not an issue.

Lloyd
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Lloyd. Thanks for that - but I have had a good look round and either that model is no longer made, or at least not available in the U.K. But, fortunately, that still leaves me a good choice from the three mentoned above.

Thanks again.
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Farmer_Terry Quote
... However, when many sites have a range of chargers typically from £20 to £50 how do I choose? I only want to charge 4 AAs at a time, and because they will tend to be either the 4 from the camera or 4 from a flash unit (which I don’t yet have), charging in pairs sounds OK to me.
A charger that can charge one battery at a time is equipped to charge each battery optimally, so that's why people suggest them. That way, any laggards in your group of 4 are brought up to speed.
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well – that was quick. Thanks to each of you for your replies.

The Maha / Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne is available in the UK at
£50, the La Crosse BC-700 is also available here at £40, and the BC-900 is available at £43 (if this IS the BC-900 you are referring to?)

The Targus Digital TG-LCD2700 appears to be US only, so that isn’t an option.

So – three good chargers there, at not hugely differing prices. Decision time.

Thanks again for the advice.
I think the BC-700 and the BC-900 are essentially the same charger with the BC-900 coming with batteries that the BC-700 does not come with.
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #12

Hi Lloyd. Thanks for that - but I have had a good look round and either that model is no longer made, or at least not available in the U.K. But, fortunately, that still leaves me a good choice from the three mentoned above.

Thanks again.
My mistake - should have been MQN04 - £17 with 4 AA cells from a well known on line book seller.

Last edited by Lloyd; 02-10-2011 at 01:42 PM.
02-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Amazon hosts a very extensive discussion of the various chargers that you'll find if you search for "difference bc700 bc900."

Paul
02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Amazon hosts a very extensive discussion of the various chargers that you'll find if you search for "difference bc700 bc900."

Paul
Looks like a good discussion.
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help - I have now ordered this one (although it sometimes seems to appear with batteries and sometimes without???).

And these from eBay - I checked first and the seller says they are the new ones with the crown and the correct model desiganation.

Looks like I am all set.