Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Custom White balance

I have pentax K-7 and have always been using auto mode almost all the time.

So as i understand white balance depending on ambient light present will be recorded differently on your DSLR . In harsh light it will be - more blue ( sun, shade, cloudy) and in less harsh light it will be warmer - more redish/yellow colors( candles tungsten, inside light).

So i tried to take pictures inside (tungsten light i guess), tungsten mode gave me too "white" of a picture, kinda flat and boring picture, while auto did give me closer to real shot. I dont get it why it works this way

Then i tried to do custom white balance but instead of taking a gray card( i didnt have it) i heard people sometimes use white piece of paper. After setting it up and taking a shot it appeared even more yeallowish - too warm to be true.
I did it couple of times. And it is the same result.

Am I doing something wrong?????

What other custom white balance tips you have in your arsenal? Do you always have to use gray cards to customize white balance. What are the instances you customize it?

Appreciate it

02-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Harsh or soft light does not matter. It is the time of day if outdoors, and the condition of the atmosphere - clear blue sky, cloudy, overcast, etc.
AWB works well for the most part until you get into the yellowish tungsten range, where you might want to switch over to the Tungsten WB setting.

Not all white paper is white - many have a tinge of blue to it.
02-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have K-7 but with my K-10D I did the Custom WB with either the body cap, Wringle cap, or a piece of plastic that cut off from a milk jug; then with my K-20D I found that using a piece of printing paper gives me more accurate colors when I do the Custom WB .

Make sure you do Custom WB correctly, if not then the camera will use previuos WB selection . Please note: [NG] appears when measuring is unsuccessful .
02-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have also been disappointed with the in-camera custom white balance. The strict definition of correct white balance is that the calibration object must register white (equal levels of R, G and B) when shot with the custom WB in effect. For some reason I cannot make it work and I've all but given up on custom WB.
Instead, I pick the closest preset and maybe adjust it if I spot a color cast on a test shot.
Then there's taste and personal preference. Some people simply prefer a warm tone for indoor lighting or a bluish cast on their winter snow and that's fine.

Sincerely,
--Anders.

02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I much better results adjusting temperature in kelvins