Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

sf1/sfx reflex lense/mirror is sprung in the up position and wont come down

so i bought this sf1 body off ebay and it came to me with no battery installed and with the reflex mirrior sprung in the up position, it moves up and down without any binding its not stuck to the light buffer foam. i put a battery in it to see what it would do and it was a no-go, it didnt do anything other then grawl at me while it tried to auto load, and turn on the screen. so anyone know if its a dud or if theres something i can do? thanks for any and all help.

02-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked my SF-1, and the mirror will go through four cycles while trying to load the film. You should be able to hear the mirror go up and down when you open the back and close it, then turn the camera on. I cannot get my SF-1 to keep the mirror up. Check to see if you have the mode set to bulb, and that the shutter release isn't stuck down - that will keep the mirror up until you release the shutter button or turn the camera off.

Also look carefully inside the lens mount on the side nearest the red dot. at the horizontal spot there is an internal button. It should be at the bottom of the track it runs in, about 1/3 of the way from the screw below the red dot to the lens release button. That moves up when the mirror goes up, and down when it comes down. If it is in the up position, you could perhaps try to gently move it downwards. It definitely moves up and down with the mirror on my SF-1.

Good luck!
02-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a not-uncommon problem with an otherwise excellent camera. Two things you could try: first, keep turning it on and off. If one of the motors is stuck it might, with a fresh battery, just kick over enough to free itself. Failing that, you won't do it any harm by giving it a whack with your hand as you turn it on, with the same intent of freeing up a stuck component. If it's a broken spring, of course, it's a repair job and not one I'd attempt myself (though you've got nothing to lose I guess).
02-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
what ive tried to date

so whate ive tried so far:
1. fresh new battery= no-go
2. tried to change settings (ie. bulb,)= no-go, it wont let me change any in screen settings, and nothing in the view finder lights up ether?
3. the little tab to the left while looking into lens box moves freely and springs back up. if when moving that tab the mirror should move at the same time = no-go
4. gave it a few love taps and let it meet the carpet a few times= no-go (still doing the same)

- i dont hear any gears grinding, or clicking

so anyone have any new ideas? all help welcome except giving up or taking it in somewhere!

02-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check if the shutter is jammed. If it is, try nudging it; the mirror may not return to the down position until the shutter travels all the way. This is my experience with all of the film cameras I have worked with.

--DragonLord
02-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahsark6454 Quote
so whate ive tried so far:
1. fresh new battery= no-go
2. tried to change settings (ie. bulb,)= no-go, it wont let me change any in screen settings, and nothing in the view finder lights up ether?
3. the little tab to the left while looking into lens box moves freely and springs back up. if when moving that tab the mirror should move at the same time = no-go
4. gave it a few love taps and let it meet the carpet a few times= no-go (still doing the same)

- i dont hear any gears grinding, or clicking

so anyone have any new ideas? all help welcome except giving up or taking it in somewhere!
In 2. just checking that you're holding the Mode slide up while you attempt to change settings with the right-hand slider?
In 3., the tab on mine also moves freely if I hold the mirror up in bulb mode. And no, the mirror doesn't move at the same time - only when activated by the shutter. With the mirror down (ie normal) that tab has a lot of resistance and again the mirror doesn't move. So that confirms that much seems to be normal on your camera.
Have you tried firing the shutter with and without a lens attached? And have you tried different lenses in auto and manual focusing?
What are you seeing in the LCD screen?
Two other things to try. Next to the viewfinder there's a small white button labelled "C" for "clear." Try pressing that with camera switched on and see if that resets anything. Below the hotshoe cover there's another button labelled "ML." From memory I think this is a focus lock and might be worth a push.
It's beginning to sound like an electrical problem to me, at which point I'll have to bid you farewell and good luck. I'll stick with you as long as I can, but I'm fast running out of ideas. It's not a tinkerer-friendly camera, as you're discovering.

---------- Post added 02-13-11 at 05:32 PM ----------

I've just looked up my manual. The ML and C buttons refer to exposure memory lock and clearing exposure settings, so I don't think that's going to help you at all. Dragon Lord's suggestion is a good one and well worth trying.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Wombat; 02-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.
02-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok, so i went down the line starting with DragonLord's idea try to un jam a possible jammed shutter = i tried moving it while it was on and off and it barely giggled? how much movement should it have?

next, Wombat thanks for all the help i went back and = i turned it on and held the mode slide up and also down while sliding the right-hand slide both left and right = nothing new it didnt light up or do anything new.

next, i only have one lens at the moment and i tried to fire the shutter with and without it attached in both auto and manual.

the LCD screen shows from left to right: timer "circle", single film-advance mode "black box". film-loaded mark "solid roll", film-adavance mark/end-of-film mark/exp frame/self-timer counter "blinking"

oh, i tried to "c" clear= no-go and the "ML" = no-go

i was looking around and i've seen people say the plastic gears are a commom problem, and i found a few other cameras have the same problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mir...ce-manual.html

the link above shows some guys replacing the motor at first and later just the sprocket.

has anyone tore down a SF series yet, and does anyone have a service manual or parts breakdown of the SF series cameras and maybe somewhere to buy the motor or gear/sprocket?
02-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
heres

so with further investigation i found the service manual with an exploded drawing. so far i cant make out where the motor or gears should be exactly? ive got an idea not qwite sure yet. heres a couple pages with pics ill post a couple more in a minute

Attached Images

02-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
heres some more

heres a few morepics, i tried to attach the whole book tell me if it doesnt work.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip sf1_sm service manual.pdf - Adobe Reader.zip (400.9 KB, 211 views)
02-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #10

Hi there,

I don't know if posting a link to another board is good form on this forum, but I found this:
Pentax SF1 wont advance film - Photo Forum - Photography Forum

It would seem that people are confusing two Pentax types and taring all with the same brush.

The last post tells the real story...Its not the gear, but the spring.
02-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It has all the hallmarks of a broken spring, doesn't it. Are you feeling brave, noahsark6454?
02-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So you do think it might be the lower spring cause the tab springs back up when trying to move it? Next Q's should you be able to move the shutter up and down at all, mine doesn't move more then a jiggle. If its the spring it sounds like and looks like it'll be fun to try to fix might be easier then the replacing the gear?
02-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahsark6454 Quote
So you do think it might be the lower spring cause the tab springs back up when trying to move it? Next Q's should you be able to move the shutter up and down at all, mine doesn't move more then a jiggle. If its the spring it sounds like and looks like it'll be fun to try to fix might be easier then the replacing the gear?
My shutter will move all the way but with considerable resistance - not something I'd want to do too often.
I guess the bottom line is that you've tried everything and it just won't budge so you're left with three choices: 1. have a go at fixing it yourself, 2. take it to a camera repair shop and get them to fix it or 3. cut your losses and take it somewhere for recycling. In your situation and knowing how cheap and easy to find these cameras are I'd probably try the first option. (Make sure you don't take it apart anywhere near a carpet - once those little springs and ball bearings start flying out you'll never find them again). Document everything as you go, take photos as you go and with a bit of luck you'll have a working camera when you're done. Good luck.