Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Removing grain with PP?

I hope this isn't the wrong forum for this, but I see people say here all the time that they can very easily remove grain with PP? I use CS5, but don't much know what I am doing with it. I have some pictures I would that are grainier than I would prefer and would love to know how I can get rid of that grain w/o losing too much detail?

02-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you shooting raw? If so when you open a raw file there is a section called "Detail" and noise reduction is in there. If you are shooting jpeg under the filter section go to Noise - Reduce Noise.
02-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoot RAW and use ACR. CS5 should default to that when you open a RAW file (PEF or DNG) with it.

Use the sharpening and noise reduction panel to remove grain. Don't go too far with it, just enough to get the image you want. Some people overdo the noise reduction and lose too much detail as a result. Same thing with sharpening. Don't go too far with it. Doing so can add JPG artifacts. It's a balancing act between the two.

If you have Bridge, you can also open JPG files in ACR and do basically the same thing but the RAW file gives you more working room.

02-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

PSE9 use the same Camera raw . You can do the same sharpening but for less than $100

02-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Same thing with sharpening. Don't go too far with it.
Leave sharpening until the very end, and if you want several sizes from one image be prepared to sharpen each one separately. Oversharpening shows in halos along edges - for example something dark against a blue sky. Found a URL that shows what I mean:

Sharpening: Digital Imaging: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Also I found the Smart Sharpen in CS2 onwards works very well and now use that instead of Unsharp Mask. (don't ask me why it's called that, something I don't understand to do with how wet darkroom folks used to sharpen) I found something about Smart Sharpen as well:

Smart Sharpen - Photoshop Tips
Advanced Sharpening in Adobe Photoshop - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

I find a well-focused image sharpens up well but a soft one doesn't. BTW a RAW image is never sharpened by the camera.

It's also often better to do selective sharpening sometimes rather than sharpen the whole image - for example I have a photo (a montage really) of the Grand Canyon, and originally I sharpened it all. However a photo club judge pointed out that only sharpening the nearer areas would help the feeling of recession. (taken on an ME Super on 01/Jun/2006 on Fujichrome)

In fact - sharpening is a whole great bit topic on it's own.