Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newby K mount question

Ok, so here's my dilemma...I just purchased a lens from ebay (a very cheap and impulse purchase) and completely overlooked the fact that it is a PK-mount lens. I've done a ton of searching and I'm getting mixed information on whether or not this lens is compatable with my K110D. So I'm calling on the powers that be (or more importantly, people that know a ton more than I do, lol) to help me with whether or not the lens will work. If not, is there any trick or mod to make it compatable or did I just buy a pretty book end. Thanks in advance.

02-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

In general, ANY PK mount lens should fit your K110D.

If it is a Pentax brand lens, then it WILL fit and work fine, within the limits of the lens. IOW, a manual focus lens will not become autofocus. If the lens has an "A" setting on the aperture, set the lens there and all camera functions will work perfectly, except autofocus. If it does not have the "A" setting, it is either a K or M series lens. It will still work, but you'll have to learn about stop-down metering.

There's a sticky in this forum regarding the use of manual lenses on Pentax dslrs.

If the lens is NOT a Pentax brand lens, then there are a couple of things to look out for, that may cause problems.

First is the infamous Ricoh pin. On some of the last, automated film SLRs, Ricoh added a new pin to what is otherwise a standard Pentax K-mount. This pin allowed the lens to communicate to specific Ricoh cameras and serves no function on a Pentax camera. Unfortunately, this pin is positioned exactly where the AF screwdrive mechanism is. The pin can become lodged in the screwdrive mech, and be very, very difficult to remove. Search these forums or google "Ricoh pin" for more information.

The second potential problem is found on SOME Vivitar lenses. There is a curved shield that is apparently present to protect the aperture actuating lever. On a few Vivitar lenses this shield is longer than on Pentax lenses and interferes with the ability of the lens to turn all the way to lock onto the camera. Fortunately, this shield can be easily modified or removed. The lens will work perfectly without it.

In any case, read the sticky about using manual lenses. It goes into great detail about how to use the lens on your camera.
02-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
awesome info, thanks a ton noblepa. It's actually a Albinar 135mm and after enlarging the photos of the lens, it appeared that the aperture actuating lever was slightly wider than my other lenses, but then again it could be that I'm looking at pictures with tired eyes. It's definitely a manual lens, which is why (other than the price) I purchased it. I want to start learning the finer points of composing shot with my camera.
02-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've had a few Albinar PK's, none with a Ricoh pin. But some nearly-identical Sears lenses, probably from the same maker, DO have the pin -- or the Ricoh button anyway, not as lethal as the pin. These are labeled MADE IN KOREA and were probably made by Samyang. Telltale signs: If the lens base is marked KR or KAR, or if the aperture ring has an A(P) mark, then it's Ricoh-ish, and you should search for threads about its possible danger and how to easily deal with it.

Don't worry too much about the aperture lever width -- it's the shield depth that can be troublesome. Enjoy your new old lens!

Last edited by RioRico; 02-11-2011 at 06:58 PM.
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had Sears lenses that would not mount on the Digital K mount without some modification (only mentioning this because of Rioricos compare to sears lenses). It isn't the aperture lever but the huge hunk of metal next to it. If the lens won't twist on, compare it to your existing lens. Then grind off everything that doesn't match. This would be the same issue as noblepas second point.

02-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Even more awesome info, thanks everyone. I can't wait to receive the lens just to have a prime lens to play with.