Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings! Regarding the nice Pentax FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited lens, I have not seen this issue (mine mounts fine on the K-5), however, I did find the following:
I thought I'd try using the lens' Aperture ring, so switched the lens out of "A" mode, and tried setting the aperture manually to, say, f/8. After doing this and looking at the Live View to move the Focus Selection Square over a certain area of the scene, I noticed it did not let me move it around in the subject area. Indeed, the Focus Selection square alternated between the square with 4 triangles, to the green expanding/contracting square). Nothing happened when pressing the "OK" button. To make this behavior disappear, I had to turn off the camera, switch back to "A" mode on the lens, power up the K-5 and then resort to setting the Aperture via the rear dial on the camera (in manual mode). Is this "normal" behavior for this lens on a K-5? Should one be able to use this FA lens in "Manual" mode with the Aperture ring? (This is my very first "FA" lens, and I did not change the default Custom Setting #27 (Using Aperture ring) And BTW, I find this FA43 to be exceedingly sharp at mid-apertures, even more so than my DA* 55, which is quite sharp as well! Thanks in advance for any expertise you may provide!

01-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevelink Quote
Greetings! Regarding the nice Pentax FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited lens, I have not seen this issue (mine mounts fine on the K-5), however, I did find the following:
I thought I'd try using the lens' Aperture ring, so switched the lens out of "A" mode, and tried setting the aperture manually to, say, f/8. After doing this and looking at the Live View to move the Focus Selection Square over a certain area of the scene, I noticed it did not let me move it around in the subject area. Indeed, the Focus Selection square alternated between the square with 4 triangles, to the green expanding/contracting square). Nothing happened when pressing the "OK" button. To make this behavior disappear, I had to turn off the camera, switch back to "A" mode on the lens, power up the K-5 and then resort to setting the Aperture via the rear dial on the camera (in manual mode). Is this "normal" behavior for this lens on a K-5? Should one be able to use this FA lens in "Manual" mode with the Aperture ring? (This is my very first "FA" lens, and I did not change the default Custom Setting #27 (Using Aperture ring) And BTW, I find this FA43 to be exceedingly sharp at mid-apertures, even more so than my DA* 55, which is quite sharp as well! Thanks in advance for any expertise you may provide!

Steve,

while I wouldn't dare getting into technicalities regarding this problem you have with the Fa 43 Ltd, and I hope someone will jump in and be able to assist you, I don't think I've encountered such problem myself.
I will just mount it on the K5 tonight and see if I can reproduce what you are experiencing.

JP