Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 43mm Ltd hard to fit to camera body

I have this beautiful FA43 Ltd which I find is becoming more difficult to mount on either my K7 or my K5 for the last little while.

It has always been a "little tough" to screw it in the camera body, almost like it is too tight, but it has been more so lately.

[My 31mm Ltd behaves the same way, but certainly not as "tight" when I am fitting it on the K7/K5.]

So, I am wondering if this is a sign of something "drastic" and if it would need attention (from a reputable repair facility).
I am afraid to use it now because, as I mentioned, the actual mounting of the lens to the camera requires effort - and that shouldn't be - and I don't want to break anything in the process.

If anyone has experienced this (with any lens but especially with an FA Ltd), please let me know.

Cheers.

JP

02-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Are all of the screws on the lens mount side secured tightly?
If any of these come loose, they can disturb the flush surface and cause more friction on mounting (sorry if anyone sees an innuendo in that last part; totally unintended I can assure you).
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The DA40 (not a specific copy, as I've used at least 3 different copies on several different bodies) was always a lens that I felt was very tight to the mount. I never knew if it was actually tighter or if it was more a function of it being so small that I could never get a very firm grip on the barrel to mount and dismount it. Don't get me wrong, it was never that hard to get on and off, but it did feel tighter than my 31 (and all my other lenses). I don't recall if the 43 was the same way, but I can check it tonight. I was just wondering if it might be a function of it being a smaller lens with less to "hold on to" while mounting it and unmounting it.
02-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Are all of the screws on the lens mount side secured tightly?
If any of these come loose, they can disturb the flush surface and cause more friction on mounting (sorry if anyone sees an innuendo in that last part; totally unintended I can assure you).
Thanks Ash!

I haven't thought about the screws because I use this lens occasionally only, but I will check this to make sure.

No innuendo observed, by the way, and you resumed the problem quite nicely: friction!

JP

02-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A loose screw can also create scratch marks on your camera mount. By the way, I don't have any problems with any of my FA limited lenses (31mm, 43mm and 77mm).

Hope you find the solution to fix it before it ruins either the lens or the camera mount.
02-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The DA40 (not a specific copy, as I've used at least 3 different copies on several different bodies) was always a lens that I felt was very tight to the mount. I never knew if it was actually tighter or if it was more a function of it being so small that I could never get a very firm grip on the barrel to mount and dismount it. Don't get me wrong, it was never that hard to get on and off, but it did feel tighter than my 31 (and all my other lenses). I don't recall if the 43 was the same way, but I can check it tonight. I was just wondering if it might be a function of it being a smaller lens with less to "hold on to" while mounting it and unmounting it.
Didn't notice this until you pointed it out, but it seems to be true that DA 40 is slightly harder to mount / dismount than my other pentax glass
02-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think Dgaies made a valid point as well - most lenses are easily gripped with a full fist, providing plenty of torque from which to twist. Lenses like the 43mm and 40mm provide little room and are removed with your finger tips which have much less direct force, and could definitely give a false impression of increased resistance. thinking to my 40mm M pancake, I think that was definitely the case for me as well.
02-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Banned

I think you might know if it was a loose screw because it would likely be apparent due to scratches on the mount. im getting the feeling this maybe something to do with the mount itself. do you have any older lenses to test against? is this the only lens giving you any real issue? are any other functions of the lens affected, say like the operation of the aperture ring?

02-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never noticed this issue but will be paying attention now!
02-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think Dgaies made a valid point as well - most lenses are easily gripped with a full fist, providing plenty of torque from which to twist. Lenses like the 43mm and 40mm provide little room and are removed with your finger tips which have much less direct force, and could definitely give a false impression of increased resistance. thinking to my 40mm M pancake, I think that was definitely the case for me as well.
I thought this may have been the case, but I tried my FA 50/1.4 and a couple of non-Pentax, smaller lenses, and they fit nicely, without any unwanted torque when mounting them on the K7/K5.

There are no scratch marks on the mounts.

JP

---------- Post added 02-15-11 at 09:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I think you might know if it was a loose screw because it would likely be apparent due to scratches on the mount. im getting the feeling this maybe something to do with the mount itself. do you have any older lenses to test against? is this the only lens giving you any real issue? are any other functions of the lens affected, say like the operation of the aperture ring?
As I mentioned earlier, there are no marks (scratch marks) on either the camera/lens mounts.
I tried with a couple of other lenses and they fitted nicely, althogh a bit tight with the Cosina 55/1.2.

All functions work as expected.

JP

---------- Post added 02-15-11 at 09:59 PM ----------

I have asked information about any reputable repair shop in the Montreal/Québec City areas so that I might send them out for a look.
I am waiting for some replies from the Québec Group here on Pentax Forums, so at least I can discuss the issue with the people who will be able to help with this. (The repair shops that is).
But again, maybe it's just me. On the other hand, I don't think having to "struggle" to mount a lens on a camera should be normal.

I have also taken a good look at the lenses for any defect or scratches ... nothing that I can "see", of course, I am not a professional lens repairman.
The lenses screws seem to be OK, but I did not want to push my luck by trying to tighten them just in case I might damage something in the process.

Thanks to all for the info. I will continue my search to find a solution to the issue at hand, if that is really an issue!

JP
02-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Do you have access to any other Pentax bodies to try mounting? (Oops! You started this, Ash!). At least that would confirm whether it's the lens or the body.
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Do you have access to any other Pentax bodies to try mounting? (Oops! You started this, Ash!). At least that would confirm whether it's the lens or the body.
Yes I do and I did try it with the K20D ... not as tight.
But it is definitely harder to fit on either the K5 or the K7.

JP
02-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yes I do and I did try it with the K20D ... not as tight.
But it is definitely harder to fit on either the K5 or the K7.

JP
..... and that's the only lens that is that way?

02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
..... and that's the only lens that is that way?

As I mentioned earlier, both the 31mm Ltd and the 43mm Ltd are "hard to fit" to the camera bodies but the 43mm definitely is the tougher of the two lenses.

JP
02-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
A loose screw can also create scratch marks on your camera mount. By the way, I don't have any problems with any of my FA limited lenses (31mm, 43mm and 77mm).

Hope you find the solution to fix it before it ruins either the lens or the camera mount.
concordo potrebbe essere una vite allentata , ma attenzione , non stringere troppo . non serve