Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it's time to upgrade from a netbook. Personally, I hate them. I like 14" notebooks for travel but 15.4" for actual work. I think 17" is too big to lug around but in your case it might make sense. 1680x1050 display is the minimum I will use.

Even an older Core2Duo at 2.4ghz is plenty of power for photo editing. Right now my 3-year-old HP 8510p with 1680x1050 display has plenty of power for photoshop work. At home I plug it into a 23" monitor.

Since you cannot put an LCD monitor into your house you might consider a 17" laptop with a 1920x1080 screen.

02-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

If it helps... I do all my post-processing on a 3 and a half year old Samsung laptop... I find prints coming of it to be more than acceptable and in increasing cases quite lovely...
02-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
My recommendation:
- NEC EA231WMi which is the most affordable IPS monitor (maybe hang it on the wall if you have little space?)
In the UK the Viewsonic 23" Pro model is cheaper than the NEC.
02-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What about an existing LCD TV? I have a 2 year old 52" Samsung that is just taking up space in a spare room. Would something like this work? I'd love to have a reason to use it.

02-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

TV screens can be big but don't have particularly accurate colour - or high resolution. Despite being a huge screen the 52" Samsung I Googled has the same resolution as a 22" screen - 1920x1080. You can have a go, expect to have to sit well back from it, but suggest you start by checking it with the following:

Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
02-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other thing with TV screens is they tend to be incredibly hard on your eyes if you're looking at them close-up. They're meant to be viewed from a distance so are very bright. Some can be adjusted but it's only a compromise at best. I think you'll go dizzy getting up close with a 52 incher. Still, no harm in trying, but do be careful. You only have one set of eyes.
You might consider a Mac Mini, which is what I use. They're absolutely silent, plenty powerful enough and don't take up much room. You could try it hooked up to your TV or just get a modest screen and, as someone suggested, hang it on the wall. You can dual boot into Linux if you wish (though Macs are already Unix-based).
All that said, if you're not seriously into printing photos to exhibit or sell, you'll probably be happy enough with a 15 inch laptop.
02-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
we really don't have room for a desktop,
Build a barebone...it'll be a lot cheaper than a good laptop.That way you can spend part of the money that a good brand laptop would cost on a good screen... A well assembled barebone would do the job, buy only the hardware, no windows license...
Linux-drivers.org - Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers here you got lots of hardware compatibility lists..that way you make sure you won't have to spend days tweaking the machine making new hardware, or less supported one, work.
You can build a beast since DDR3 Ram is cheap now and Dual core processors are cheap too.
After that be sure to check RawTherapee (good Raw handling program).
02-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #23

Original Poster
I actually have a nice system (I built from a barebones kit) and a large high quality monitor. However, every spare inch of walla space in the living room is floor to ceiling bookshelves, so figuring out a place is tricky.

02-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I actually have a nice system (I built from a barebones kit) and a large high quality monitor. However, every spare inch of walla space in the living room is floor to ceiling bookshelves, so figuring out a place is tricky.
you got CBA (computer buying addiction). Maybe hole up a place in the shelves, make a cosy litle corner?? i got mine that way...round table tight corner...
If you still want a new computer buy a clonical one...Here some stores have monitors cases,motherboards,etc, it's less configurable than a desktop, and it's more expensive but it'll be less expensive than a top notch brand one with windows license or a mac..
Clonical laptops are evolving fast, 4 years ago it was much more difficult but today that market is growing and evolving to become something like clonical desktops.
02-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Wish I knew what a 'clonical' computer was.

BTW it strikes me that Balog actually has XBA, X being whatever is on all those bookshelves.
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
'clonical' computer was.
Damn thought the term was widespread...it's a way of calling "no-brand" computers, those made of parts purchased separately and put together in a case made by a third party. Some years ago the only way to get a laptop was to buy a brand X one, today you can assemble one from an array of different pieces and put it all together in a easy to access and mount case (my Gf is studiying architecture and got a topnotch laptop made like this, it was like a third of the price cheaper than a branded one with the same specs, and that was 2-3 years ago..so i'm guessing today the configurability will be higher and price maybe lower...).
02-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
In the UK the Viewsonic 23" Pro model is cheaper than the NEC.
The best deal I've been able to find one so far is the LG 21,5" IPS226V-PN (pixmania / 219 ). Seems to have LED backlight too. I guess I'll give the spare 32" Sony LCD TV a try first though with the theory that even if the panel is most likely a TN, the viewing angle does not vary as much as with the laptop display as the viewing distance is more generous.
02-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

The only problem with an external monitor is finding a place for it in our living arrangements. /sigh
*wiping spots of varnish off hands from building furniture after finally acquiring an IPS monitor and rearranging half the house.*

Tell me about it. Really worth it to be able to see, though.

I got one of these, they seem to average about 260 bucks (I snagged mine during a nice price dip) I haven't got the expertise to compare them to any others, but these are very satisfactory, I think: Stuff looks like proper photographs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LARVYK/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
02-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*wiping spots of varnish off hands from building furniture after finally acquiring an IPS monitor and rearranging half the house.*

Tell me about it. Really worth it to be able to see, though.
This would indeed seem to be a bit of a puzzle. Requires a table to put/keep it on which should have space for the laptop too. Ideally so that you could sit directly facing the laptop keyboard (+touchpad) and the external display. This in turn would seem to mean placing the external display quite high or quite a bit back from the laptop so that the laptop display does not get in the way? (Of course, the thing to have would be an ips laptop display, but that is $<arm+leg> it seems, besides I have an otherwise adequate one ...) Somehow this reminds me of an endearing C-compiler error message: "Expression causes compiler to loop: please simplify."
02-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
This would indeed seem to be a bit of a puzzle. Requires a table to put/keep it on which should have space for the laptop too. Ideally so that you could sit directly facing the laptop keyboard (+touchpad) and the external display. This in turn would seem to mean placing the external display quite high or quite a bit back from the laptop so that the laptop display does not get in the way? (Of course, the thing to have would be an ips laptop display, but that is $<arm+leg> it seems, besides I have an otherwise adequate one ...) Somehow this reminds me of an endearing C-compiler error message: "Expression causes compiler to loop: please simplify."
Heehee. Well, the problem here has much to do with all the wires from all the improvising, combined with a limited number of modern outlets in this old house: at least I don't feel so badly about having put off sorting out all the modems and routers and things that'd become a tangle in the one spot everything could reach before: it was a huge job. But it does mean 'not enough furniture,' so I'm knocking something together.