Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-X and Split Image Focusing Screen

I have a question... I recently purchased a split image focusing screen for my K-X I put it in and it seems to do the trick and seems to be a big step up from the standard K-X screen just looking through the viewfinder. I havent taken any photos yet but is there anything else i need to do? any calibration to get proper focus? or am I good to go? I probably should have made this thread prior to putting in the new screen.

Thanks

02-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would do a controlled focus test. Either by using a chart or the 3 battery test. Sometimes when you install a new screen it will not fit perfectly and therefore you will not be able to tell if your image is in focus. If this is the case then you will need to insert some shims.
02-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you will need to test the accuracy of the focus by taking some test shots and seeing if the focus of the output agrees with how you'd focused with the screen. The two shims that came with my focusing screen for the K-x were so flimsy that it literally took me one to two hours to get mine adjusted right - the default shim in the K-x was much more solid, and therefore easier to put in, but it wasn't quite accurate in focus with the new screen. So I had to play with trying 0, 1, or 2 of the shims that came with the screen until I finally got it almost exact.
02-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Note that autofocus is not affected by the focusing screen. You can even remove the focusing screen and autofocus still works. Focus confirmation, if exists (I don't have the K-x so I don't know), also works.

Per KxBlaze, you should do a controlled focus test on manual focus. Autofocus should not be better nor worse than with the stock screen. You can compare manual focus and autofocus and/or focus confirmation.

Spot metering does not work with split image screen.