Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

K-7: Av mode issue

With my K-7 in Av or TAv modes, using the rear e-dial and scrolling left to achieve a wider aperture, the f-stops become numerically lower as they should until the lowest f-stop available for the zoom lens and its current focal length setting is achieved but if I scroll one or more clicks beyond this f-stop (say f4.5), I wouldn’t expect the f-stop to change further; it would remain f4.5. Instead one click further gives me an f11 or if I go another click, f16. Returning to f4.5 if I’ve gone one click beyond can be time consuming. This makes selecting the widest aperture for a short depth of field an effort in frustration. My idea of aperture priority is being able to quickly access a desired f-stop, much as one would with the aperture ring on a manual lens. I’ve come up with somewhat of a work-around where I set the Program Line, DOF Priority to shallow in the Rec. Mode 2 menu and associate that with the Green Button while using TAv or M modes. Now when the widest aperture is needed, I switch to TAv or M, press the Green Button and I’m immediately rewarded with the widest aperture and I can control exposure using ISO or shutter speed.

Am I missing something here, is this by design, or is there something wrong with my K-7? Terrific camera otherwise but had I known the K-7 operated this way before I plunked down a grand, it would have been a deal breaker.

02-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-7 doesn't do that (only tried Av mode). When I reach the largest aperture, like f/2.8, turning the wheel further doesn't change anything.
02-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick reply. After seeing a suggestion in another post regarding e-dial problems, I switched aperture control to the front e-dial as an experiment (C menu item #25). Using the front e-dial, aperture control works perfectly. So, time to box up my 2 month old K-7 and send it off to the service center. Heavy sigh.
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilsF Quote
Thanks for your quick reply. After seeing a suggestion in another post regarding e-dial problems, I switched aperture control to the front e-dial as an experiment (C menu item #25). Using the front e-dial, aperture control works perfectly. So, time to box up my 2 month old K-7 and send it off to the service center. Heavy sigh.
I'm somewhat puzzled with the fault. There is no mechanical link from the control wheel to anywhere, it just sends electrical impulses to the firmware like in "one click to the left", or "one click to the right".

In Tv mode, if you set Tv on the rear dial, do you see a similar behavior?

Could it be "a fluke" in the firmware? It's perhaps hard to believe that the firmware could have changed all by itself, but perhaps it would be worth a try to reinstall the firmware before you send the camera in. I have had one instance with my PC where a setting in my BIOS changed by itself (actually after quite a thunderstorm had rolled through our area), so hence my suggestion.

02-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

There have been issues with the E-dials on the K7 (and other cameras). Most noted seems to be dirty contacts of the dial. How a sealed camera gets dirty, I'll never understand but.. I think it's just wear. Some take the cameras apart themselves to fix others send them in. The dead giveaway is when switching the function of the dials makes the operational problem (as noted in the original post) go away.

02-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
Didn't think of switching Tv to the rear dial before boxing it up but I had no issues with Tv using the front dial. As a last resort, I installed the latest firmware which was successful but still had the malfunctioning rear dial. I also did a reset (including the C menu). When you described the proper functioning of your K-7 in Av mode, I realized it wasn't me but the camera. I see numerous posts regarding k-7 e-dials with erratic responses so I'm not alone. Considered using contact cleaner as some have but judging from those posts, it seems to be a temporary fix. My K-7 is under warranty so I'm mailing it off to Pentax in AZ. Again, thanks and BTW, this is a terrific forum.