Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #16

Original Poster
What would be a good flash I have seen the 2 pentax flashes I think 360 and 540 but they are quite expensive for someone who thinks this is a hobby and not a profession.

02-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF280T. Bounce, swivel, powerful enough for most situations and can typically be had for around $50. BUT, it does not do P-TTL so you will have to control it manually. Not a big problem once you learn how (in fact no problem) but there will be an extra learning curve step.

I'm not familiar with your Kalimar lens but unless it is an auto aperture lens, you camera will always shoot with it wide open in Av. If you're able to set the aperture with the camera, then this doesn't apply (unless the aperture blades are sticking which has its own problems).

02-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

Original Poster
Is the flash voltage safe for digital cameras
02-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #19

Original Poster
the Lens is full manual no automatic contacts

02-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldmower Quote
the Lens is full manual no automatic contacts
Then JeffJS is right, and the lens will always shoot wide open. To get aperture control, you need to be in M, and start using the Green button, this will briefly stop down the lens to the aperture setting you have dialled in, and set the SS to suit the exposure. Make using a manual lens almost as easy as an A lens.
02-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #21

Original Poster
what is SS
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #22

Original Poster
I was using the preview button while in M next to the ON button it lasts longer or is this incorrect and I should use the green button instead.

02-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It should be fine as reported by others, the trigger voltage on the contacts is about 10VDC. See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/35954-k200d-auto-f...80t-flash.html

You can test it yourself if you have a multi-meter. Charge up the flash and meter voltage on the contacts. Should be below about 40V to be safe on dslr.

Last edited by KevinR; 02-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.
02-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I was using the preview button while in M next to the ON button it lasts longer or is this incorrect and I should use the green button instead.
SS - Shutter Speed. You can use the preview button to stop down only to see what the image will look like, but I don't think it automatically sets the shutter speed. Will need to test.

Ed- just tested, and it has to be in M, and then use the Green button. Very easy that way.
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Yes. I used on on my K7 for a little while before selling the flash and to my knowledge, the purchaser is still using it.

02-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Then JeffJS is right, and the lens will always shoot wide open.
That is not correct. In Av mode the lens would meter wide open. It will shoot at whatever aperture is set on the lens.

The AF280T will work just fine, with trigger voltage problems. I have one and have no intention of parting with it.
02-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
SS - Shutter Speed. You can use the preview button to stop down only to see what the image will look like, but I don't think it automatically sets the shutter speed. Will need to test.

Ed- just tested, and it has to be in M, and then use the Green button. Very easy that way.
You can do both. What the Green button does in M mode, is Center the meter. It will stop down your lens to whatever aperture you have set on the aperture ring, take the reading, and set your shutter speed accordingly. To my knowledge, there is no Auto ISO in M mode so whatever you have it set at is what it will use.

The Other way, is the way I use (may work differently on the K200d). Use the Optical preview (that lever that is the on switch). This will activate the meter but will NOT set the exposure. You can use your meter view in the viewfinder at that point to dial the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO around until you have the exposure you want.

If you are unfamiliar with exposure (the three parts and what they do), the green button will get you there for now. I suggest however you do some reading and experimenting with the subject. It is the same, regardless of what camera or lens you use. Once you master it, you'll be able to get any picture you want (within Some limits of equipment).

02-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That is not correct. In Av mode the lens would meter wide open. It will shoot at whatever aperture is set on the lens.

The AF280T will work just fine, with trigger voltage problems. I have one and have no intention of parting with it.
Not with an M (or K) type lens. He IS correct.

02-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #29

Original Poster
I dont know how to read the meter in the view finder i read the manual and googled it but I couldn't figure it out. The center hexagon I use for focus but I dont know how to read if more or less light is needed.
02-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Then use the green button.

Edit:

I just looked at the manual (page 94 for M mode). It appears there is no Segmented meter on the K200d. Instead, it shows as a number. The green button should set it to 0 (it'll be on the right side in the view finder). If you want to over expose from that point, either open the aperture, or slow the shutter speed (the number should get higher). If you want to Underexpose, close the aperture (higher number on the ring) or speed up the shutter.

Last edited by JeffJS; 02-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.