Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

In way over my head!!!!!

To all the brilliant Pentaxians out there.....................HELP!!!!!!

Ok so I have read a bunch of articles and how to's about manual lenses and I am still lost. Here it goes, I bought a Pro Spec MF 75-300mm f4.5/5.6 on ebay for super super cheap. I have little to no idea on its usage other then wanting another lens and that the description said Macro. The lens is flawless but I cant get my camera(kx)/settings to allow it to work. Been at it for two hours and now the snow drift outside is calling the lens/camera!

Please help and thank you kindly in advance for any and all that respond.

Sincerely,
Austen

02-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"in your camera's custom function menu, set "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed)."
This is the part im hanging up on.......
02-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ha! got it!

Thanks!

02-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After you've done this a couple more times you'll calm down and learn to learn about lenses before you buy them. I purchased a small number of stinkers at first before realizing my lens budget could have been used more wisely.

For what it's worth....there are macro lenses which are really macro lenses, and there are lenses which are capable of close focus (relative to some others at the time they were manufactured, anyway) and which are called "macro" strictly to boost sales.
02-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Promise* No more impulse buys until I learn more about them. Im going to check out that tread now ;-)

Thanks !

Austen
02-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxianBear Quote
Promise* No more impulse buys until I learn more about them. Im going to check out that tread now ;-)
"My name is RioRico, and I am an optics addict." Oops, wrong forum...

Hey, impulse buys are GOOD for you! Especially cheap ones, they don't hurt so bad. Buy a bunch of cheap lenses and see which you like and can brag about, like the Tomioka 55/1.4 that I got for TWO BUCKS!! The sucker's bet is to bid on several copies of the same lens, hoping you'll win one -- and then you win them ALL. Ouch. Ouch. [/me thinks of all those Industar-61's that arrived one week...]

One learns good judgment from one's experience.
One gains experience by making bad judgments.
It's all part of the never-ending learning process.

OH Goddess no, not ANOTHER learning experience!"

I've developed a ROT (rule of thumb): If it costs less than a sandwich or burger, buy it. If it costs more than a large pizza, think real hard about it. And if it sucks, wait a month and resell it, probably for a profit. This has served me well. Those ~180 lenses in my stock don't include the ~100 others I've sold to pay for the ones I'm keeping. I have no discretionary income, so to buy something I must first sell something. And all those excess lenses I stupidly bought in the early days of my LBA (2 years ago) have returned 80% PROFIT. I am not displeased.

But yeah, after a bit, one learns to do some research. The user reviews / ratings here; discussions on other forums; gargling for info on unknown lenses; it all becomes just part of the process. See a candidate lens on eBay; put it on watch list; gargle for details; decide whether to bid or watch or delete. Part of that is viewing eBay's COMPLETED LISTINGS pages, to see what stuff has sold for lately. And the user-review database here includes average prices paid, so you can figure whether any listed lens is a decent deal or not.

And sometimes the voices in my head say BUY IT!
I always do whatever what my voices tell me to do.
[/me stares into space, reaches for the plunger...]
02-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I purchased a small number of stinkers at first......
HAHAHA! Been there done that! It's hard to resist!
One lens that I thought was a dud is my Tokina 28-200 f/3.5-5.3. It's actually pretty good except it's so heavy that it zooms all the way out by its self if you tip it forward more then 30!!
Best money spent is on good primes IMO. One WA, and one normal.
Maybe a sharp portrait lens for Xmas.

02-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredibly, or maybe not incredibly, I don't think I've read a single post here about someone lusting over an old manual zoom.

Only primes.
02-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey guys another Question........

With my new lens its asking me to imput focal length? what should I set it to and or how do i go about deciding?

Thanks to all

Austen
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, that is the problem with manual zooms: the camera needs to know the focal length for SR. You can turn SR off, keep the zoom at the focal length you give on start-up, or maybe give a length around the min. focal length for reduced SR efficiency (giving a value that is more than the actual FL would result in SR overdoing its compensating movements of the sensor actually making camera shake worse). Some people advocate giving a value between the extremes, which might work reasonably well if the zoom range is small enough. Summary: no really good solution for this AFAIK, SR would really seem to need the body to be able to communicate with the lens to keep track of the FL.
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the response :-)

But I think I am even more confused.............

The beginners "sigh......"
02-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, Bear, don't fret too much: set for 120 with that zoom, if you intend to use the full range of it, is the easy answer. You may set somewhat higher if you're mostly using the long end.

The reason why is a bit more complex, but someone just posted a nice formula for that on another thread. The reason the camera asks you this is in order for the shake reduction system to function best: if you stay under about 150 with that lens, it will never be doing your photos any harm to have SR on. All this does is tell the camera's computer what it's seeing. Newer lenses tell the camera specifically what part of the zoom range you're using: this type does not, so you have to. The lower numbers make the best compromise. If you want to set the precise focal length you are zoomed to, that's actually the best, but it obviously takes time, and you have to remember to do it.

That help?
02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!

Yes, that gives me a start point!

Thanks again,
Austen