Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Which type of RAW (K-X)?

Playing with my new K-X - so far I really like it.
One question that came to mind is what are the pluses / minuses of each of the RAW types? Is PEF better than DNG or is it the other way around? Or does it matter?

I use Photoshop CS-3 if that matters.

02-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The is no difference in image quality between PEF and DNG.

I use DNG because it is recognized by more software than PEF. Your CS-3 probably is too old to recognize PEF from a K-x whereas it will do DNG just fine.
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use DNG, it's easy and widely supported. I can open my K-7 and K10D images in my older copy of Photoshop CS2 without issues.

It's a good thing Pentax is forward looking enough to include DNG support in their cameras unlike the other big camera companies.
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Both formats have the same picture data, PEF is Pentax specific and the files tend to be slightly smaller, DNG is a more generic format from Adobe which is documented so that 3rd parties can and do support it. I have been using the latter with the idea that it is more likely to keep working down the line (with, say, with a new PP software package).

02-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually use both. I use PEF in camera because they are smaller than the DNG's that my K20 produces. It's primarily because I'm lazy and hate hate hate to stop shooting to change a SD card. But after I'm finished shooting and after uploading to my computer, I change the PEF's to DNG's. It's an extra step but I never pretended to be completely logical.

NaCl(the only thing normal in my house is the button on the dishwasher)H2O
02-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photoshop CS3 handles PEF just fine.
02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I always figured that as soon as I picked one and used it for a year, suddenly there would be a reason to have the other one. So I shoot PEF in the camera, then use Adobe DNG Converter to create a DNG version of every image. The PEFs go on to be backed up and mostly ignored. The DNG copies go into Elements or whatever I'm using. They are smaller, and a bit easier to use on low-powered computers. The downside is that the PEFs still have every bad shot along with the good, so it's not really efficient storage. But I haven't run out of space yet.

I run a batch file every time I put a card in the card reader, which takes care of checking for new images, copying them to the hard drive, starting Adobe DNG converter with some command line switches, moving DNGs to a working directory, PEFs to storage, and marking the card as downloaded. There might be a higher-tech way to do that.
02-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the responses!

02-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Both work fine with CS3, I think the PEF's are slightly smaller file size, but DNG's are an Adobe generic standard.